Cleaning dog "schmutz" off of furniture

mss103January 29, 2013

I have a 2 YO Lab and a 14 YO Lab. The 14 YO has always done this cat-like thing, wherein she rubs herself along the furniture, leaving behind a swath of oil from her coat. I only have leather or wood furniture, and I've been just using a soapy water solution (Dawn, actually) to clean it. It's not a problem on the wood, but I've noticed that on the leather, it looks as if the color is actually wearing away in areas where it's been repeatedly cleaned. Any suggestions? I always follow up the cleaning of the leather with the application of the conditioner as well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

Years ago, my Dad always used a product called "Saddle Soap" to clean and condition any leather items. If the leather is worn away, perhaps a shoemaker could give you some suggestions.

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 9:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tinan

Go to a tack shop (horse supplies) and get some real saddle soap or even a non-glycerine based leather cleaner like Effax LederCombi. The Dawn is stripping the leather and you should never use that harsh detergent on leather!

It's too late to restore the color which was dyed into the top layers of the leather which have worn down, but keeping it well cleaned and conditioned might protect it from future deterioration.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 7:35PM
More Discussions
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Sebo K3 vs Bank
Our remodel included replacing carpet and tile flooring...
Saje
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
Jetted Tub Cleaning - I'm at my end point!
Hello everyone, I know this subject has been posted...
Auroras_Envy
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™