Help! Think I ruined my pot forever

deanie1January 11, 2010

I have a large all stainless steel pot that I've wrecked. I put boiling water in it to get some humidity in the house and left it to boil for maybe 12 hours or so -- always making sure that the pot was constantly filled with boiling water -- it never ran dry. But when I emptied the pot, the bottom of it was extremely rough and there are some discolorations. There's also a rainbow-colored ring around the inside where the water line was most of the time. It's not my nice, pretty smooth-bottom pot anymore. Can anyone tell me what I can do?.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

I think your pot is discolored from the water. I had the same thing happen to my pot and the next time I simmered fruit to get juice for jelly the discoloration got less and less. Try boiling some vinegar and water in it and then scrub it with an sos pad

Bookmark   January 11, 2010 at 7:43PM
jannie

I have a set of stainless pots that are about 35 years old. They get pretty hard use. The smallest one has that "rainbow" effect inside but the pot works fine and the outside looks perfect and shiny. so I continue using it. The object is to cook and heat food, not have a perfect looking pot,right?

Bookmark   January 12, 2010 at 12:19PM
cryptandrus

"Cameo Aluminum and Stainless Steel Cleaner" works great on ss pots and pans.

Look for it at your grocery store. Should be in the same aisle as dishwashing liquid.

It's in a little plastic can, like kitchen cleanser.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cameo Cleaner (scroll down a bit)

Bookmark   January 12, 2010 at 12:42PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Boil a pot of water with at least a cup of vinegar in it. I cleaned the minerals out of my tea kettle this way, and it was like new when done. You will want to open the window for lessening the vinegar smell.

Bookmark   January 15, 2010 at 2:43PM
More Discussions
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
How to rid house of dog smell
I'm doing a temporary rental (sold my house finally...
lisa77429
Using same vacuum for outside lanai and off white carpet???????
I have one vacuum. It is a Shark Robot. I need to...
mizsusan
Urine stain on rug from dog
My sweet doggie has tinkled two different times on...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™