soot on walls

embersmommaJanuary 18, 2007

I have burned several candles in my bathroom. They were apparently to close to the wall and now there is soot all over my walls. All four, as well as my ceiling. I used windex to get most of it off, but you can still see traces of soot. Does anyone know of a way to get this stuff of. And by the way my ceiling is textured.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I came on to post this same thing a few days ago, but then I tried my Mr. Clean magic eraser and it helped a lot. I don't know what kind of paint you have, but it worked on my bathroom wall in the apartment... very flat white paint. Not glossy at all. I have candles on the back of the toilet and on sink counter. The ones on the toilet tank always leave a black mark, but I think it's because the wicks are supposed to be trimmed shorter. You know what they say about an ounce of prevention. The first time it happened, I took care of it immediately... this last time I was *lazy* and let it sit a few days. It was much tougher to get off. I don't know what to to on a textured ceiling... I've heard of a product called Instagone for water spots on ceilings... you might try that. Good luck!

    Bookmark   January 19, 2007 at 11:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I used to burn candles and stopped because of the soot problem. The soot got on the walls of every room in the house even thought the candles were only burned in one room. You didn't notice the soot until you moved a picture on the wall or something like that. My white lampshades got dingy. My curtains got soot in the folds. Even the rubber seals on my refigerator and micro got sooty and black.

Burning soy candles prevents most of this. Also don't buy candles with a wire in the wick. It's not good to breath the fumes of burning aluminum.

    Bookmark   January 19, 2007 at 5:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Now I was lazy to. It took a while actually before I noticed. It was thick. I used liquid blue Mr. Clean, but Windex worked better. I forgot about the eraser. Great idea. I've wanted one anyways. About these soy candles, I don't know anything about. How can I find more info.?

    Bookmark   January 19, 2007 at 6:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hi - There's a thing called a "dry sponge" that we used to use around our fireplace. Worked pretty well on the rough-textured brick and stone. Anyplace that has janitorial supplies should have one--maybe Lowes or Home Depot?

    Bookmark   January 19, 2007 at 7:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If walls and ceilings are smooth, try using your mop. Bigger surface means faster cleaning. Windex is usually good for soot, but like any surface, should be wiped dry.

    Bookmark   January 21, 2007 at 9:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'm sure that this is probably just candle soot but I just wanted to say that Carbon Monoxide can also be the cause of a sooty film on the walls and ceilings. It's just something I saw on the news and I was not aware of.

    Bookmark   January 22, 2007 at 11:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

embersmomma, just google 'soy candles' and you will get hundreds of places that sell them. You can also find them sold in health food stores and specialty shops and craft fairs.

I don't have a favorite brand to recommend, I buy what ever strikes my fancy when I see them.

Here is what says about soy candles:

Soy wax made from the soybean plant has become an alternative to paraffin wax. Soy candles burn clean producing 90-95% less soot than paraffin candles and burn cooler resulting in faster scent dispersion. Soy wax is also water soluble making wax spills easier to clean up by using hot soapy water. Highly scented soy candles can be purchased in many places including online through many sites offering natural alternatives to petroleum based paraffin.


arkansa_girl, do you happen to have a link to the news on carbon monixide? Often times news shows have the stuff in text on their website. I don't know if you are talking about a local news show in your area or a national network news show. Nothing comes up in a Google for me.

    Bookmark   January 23, 2007 at 12:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

bud wi~I was watching local news...someone died from CM Poisoning at the beginning of winter so they were telling people about detectors and also mentioned that soot on walls is a tell tale sign of CM build-up in the home. Personally I had never heard this either but I don't have any reason to doubt it.

    Bookmark   January 23, 2007 at 8:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I am not doubting it. I'd just like to learn more about this.

I had this problem on another forum. If I ask for more info and links, some people think I am trying to be arguementive and contrary.

Maybe my writing style comes across as too blunt. Sorry.

    Bookmark   January 23, 2007 at 11:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

OH no, I didn't take it like that at all! I'm just saying that I assume it's true since it was the news. Maybe you could contact your local fire department for some more information about CM.

    Bookmark   January 24, 2007 at 10:25AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
How to Clean a Disgusting Plastic Shower Floor
I have purchased a property that has what I believer...
Clean a clouded shower door
Tenants have left a glass shower door a true mess....
How to rid house of dog smell
I'm doing a temporary rental (sold my house finally...
Removing Stains Caused by Stain Removers - Carpet
Hi all, What's the best way to remove stains on a Sofa,...
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
Sponsored Products
Parakeet Circle Rings Giclee Glow Plug-In Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus
Alhambra Natural Iron Two-Light Sconce
$83.50 | Bellacor
Luceplan | Strip Wall/Ceiling Light D22/4
Cyan Design 13.75 Square Gallery End Table
$407.50 | LuxeDecor
Kichler Modern Contempo Wall Sconce
Round White Ceramic Wall Mounted or Vessel Sink
Minka Aire F812IO Lineage Iron Oxide 54" Ceiling Fan
Littman Bros Lighting
Hampton Bay Wall Mounted L1-Star Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Desert Sands Wall
$39.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™