Can BS 15k simmer like an ordinary range?

cottonpennyMarch 7, 2012

All the CC threads got me thinking about simmers!

I think I'm getting a 36" Bluestar rangetop. If I get 6 burners, it comes with 2x22k, 3x15k, and 1x8k simmer.

I sometimes have two things going at a low temp. But typically not super low (my basic Frigidaire seems to handle it fine without burning). I don't think I'd have more than 2 things going that require 22k.

So should that standard configuration be fine? Or would it be better to have 2x15k and 2x8k instead of 3x15k and 1x8k?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PeterH2

Why not just have a mix of 22K and 8K (which is what many people seem to want the CC to have)? In an earlier thread when I asked this specific question, no-one could explain what the value of the 15K is compared to the 22K, but maybe people's thinking has evolved further since then.

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 7:33PM
MichelleDT

I am going to do a custom configuration and I asked the Bluestar Regional Rep about knocking off one more burner for simmer but after cooking on the range, I don't think you need to do that. The rep here actually talked me into upping one 15K to 22K. His reasoning...you can always turn it down but you can't turn a 8K or 15K up to 22K. I don't have my confiuration with me but can update what we decided to do tomorrow. I have already made a change though - going with a grill and griddle vs. the 24 inch griddle. I wanted both after feedback here.

I think it really depends on how you cook. I did not see any issue while cooking on the 8, 15 and 22 burners during my session.

Although a bit small, the broiler was amazing - really amazing.

Are you able to test drive it?

M

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 7:52PM
stooxie

Hi cottonpenny,

The 15K burner is what I use most for simmering large pots of stock. I like that is has a nice low setting AND the star pattern. The simmer burner's narrow circle is good for smaller pots and lower heat needs.

It's also good to have the 2 15K BTU burners front to back so you can use a griddle across two common burners. You could switch them all to 22K but I find the 15K BTU burner to be perfect for that use.

I'd leave them as is on the 36".

-Stooxie

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 8:48PM
tyguy

I agree with stooxie. I won't repeat what he said but I agree with all his points.

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 9:12PM
MichelleDT

Cottonpenny,

I'd take the guys advice....I only used the range for 4 hours. They have lots more time behind the burners than I do.

M

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 9:36PM
willtv

I've got a 36" 6 burner with the standard configuration and wouldn't change it.

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 10:02PM
More Discussions
Bluestar Platinum Owners - How is your Range
How is it to use the grill and griddle? ie ease of...
dzane
Wolf oven error on self clean: TCO detect as open
I've had two Wolf E series for nearly 2 years (single...
repac
Questions about noisy back draft damper on vent hood roof cap
One female here who is definitely not a diy type person....
texasgal47
Wolf porcelain chipping on new ovens
Argggggg!!!! New wolf E series ovens, purchased and...
jackson2348
Anyone have one of the new Viking Dishwashers?
They have rebuilt them from the ground up this year....
mkiv808
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™