Cleaning white grout

lam702January 20, 2014

I now have beautifully clean grout again! My main bath has pale blue floor tiles with white grout. Looked beautiful when first installed (25 yrs ago), but has been a hassle cleaning the grout ever since. I tried so many things but it never came completely clean. Recently, I found 2 different tips for cleaning white grout, #1 said to use an oxygen cleaner with water solution, sponge on liberally and let it sit for 15 min, then scrub with a brush, rinse and let dry. #2 was to use a magic eraser to scrub the grout. I used a combination of the 2, first the oxygen cleaner, followed by a good scrubbing with the brush, then scrub with the magic eraser and rinse with clean water. Yes, it took a fair amount of elbow grease, but lo and behold, my beautiful white grout is back! After 25 yrs, I finally found something that works! I'll give it a couple of days to dry really well, and then seal it. Never again will I use white grout, but at least I've finally found a way to get it clean.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

Thanks for posting your results. If I were you, I would apply a grout sealer to complete the job.

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 9:32AM
lam702

Yes, thanks I plan to seal it tomorrow. I will be diligent in resealing it every year or 2 from now on!

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 2:10PM
alameda/zone 8

What kind/brand of oxygen cleaner did you use?

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 10:37AM
lam702

I just got some from the Dollar Store, not sure what the brand is, some off brand type. I think it is basically the same as the Oxyclean type. It really worked great, but I also used Magic Erasers, (also from the dollar store, another no name brand) Took a good amount of scrubbing but now it looks great. I sealed it over the weekend and in the future when I wash the floor, I'll add some oxyclean in the water.

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 2:27PM
More Discussions
ink marks
How to remove ink (lines from a pen) on a sofa? Also,...
kathyg_in_mi
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
momintennies
Sink Scratches
My white (porcelain?) sink gets silvery scratch marks...
jinnufr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™