Tile Hydroban Wall Prep advice needed ASAP....

ecdiskinMarch 11, 2014

Hi All! Doing a DIY bathroom fix and hired contractor to rip down the old tile--he offered to get the durock up for me so I'd be ready to tile...I thought, sure. But here's now what I face...he taped and filled center horizonal seam with drywall compound--as well as as all the edges between drywall and durock, used drywall screws, and never installed a vapor barrier. So I figured I'd do a coat of hydroban to deal with problems but then heard it won't adhere to drywall compound. I sanded out the center seam down to the mesh tape and skim coated with thinset--as well as skim coated the edges of the niche and the side edges so the hydroban will adhere. I figured if I prime and paint upper seams first to seal the compound then I'll be able to tile up there and that's really not in the water zone. Beyond the screws issue--I can replace the visible ones--does this seem like an acceptable plan? I hate to rip it all out and start over--time, money, hassle...but of course, I want this darn thing to last!! Please chime in:) Thanks in advance!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cat_mom

I'll ask DH if he knows (he rebuilt our tub and shower surrounds).

However in the meantime, I'm pretty sure you need to apply three, not one coat of Hydroban.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 5:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raehelen

I would check the specs of your particular thinset. I find they are quite clear about what surfaces you can apply it to and what you can't. I wouldn't paint until I checked.

As to the one coat of Hydroban, I used Aquadefense (same type of thing - liquid waterproofing membrane). They again will be quite specific as to how many/how thick a coat you need to apply. You paint over all the seams, screw holes, niche, etc. first, let dry and then an allover coat. We did three coats for up to 7 feet high, ran out, and just did 2 coats for the top foot. DH painted the inside of the niche very very well, he figures it has about 5 coats!

I have found the tech support lines very useful. I wouldn't hesitate to call and ask them these questions.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 6:21PM
More Discussions
Shower Size OK?
We're in the middle of a renovation of our master suite...
ntrainer
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
Quality manufacturer of bathroom fixtures?
We would like to purchase the best quality for a low...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
Looking for Dupe to RH Nolan Sconce
Has anyone run across sconces that look similar to...
Jill Wood
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™