suggestions to clean stove grates

oldcraftyJanuary 6, 2011

About 2 years ago I purchased a new gas range. DID NOT want gray grates and that seemed to be all that was available. I can't wash each time someone cooks on the range as I am gone all day and others are at home to cook. The grates have given me nothing but nightmares and lots of extra time in the kitchen. Soneone suggested I soak them in ammonia, that worked GREAT. I would put them in a sealed rubbermaid type container and completely submerse them under the ammonia and wa-la the next morning they were a breeze to wash.....no scrubbing!!! Now to my horror the gray enamel finish is starting to peal off so I need to find another cleaning solution.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigdoglover

Do NOT put it in the self-cleaning oven. I had the same problem with my gray stove grates and thought I was such a genius using my oven to clean them. They came out beautiful the first time, and after the second time the enamel started breaking off. I finally had to get a new stovetop, this time SS with black cast iron (which has its own cleaning issues.)

Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 8:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
livebetter

I have a Dacor SS top with black grates (which I just cleaned by the way) and I hate it.

Never again. Next time I'll get one with the black enameled top that you can scrub. I love gas but it's a real pain to keep clean. My Mom has a ceran top and it's so easy to keep clean but so awful to cook on.

Sigh ....

Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
Urine stain on rug from dog
My sweet doggie has tinkled two different times on...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
Getting Cigarette Smoke Out of Clothes
My daughter's friend gave her a lot of clothes. Friend...
monicakm_gw
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™