12 phone calls and a bunch of emails later, the repair guy is coming to fix my NXR on Monday - 32 days after the issues were first reported.
This is a recap of the issues with the range:
- The oven door doesn't close properly. It has evidence of damage from both assembly and shipping.
- The front lower stainless cover has shipping damage.
- The broiler pan top kinda of exploded shards on first use - it has 4 quarter sized placed where the blue coating exploded off in a spiral of shards.
- One of the burner assemblies leaks gas at a specific pressure. The build up of gas causes a popping noise when it self ignites, about the level of pop corn noise, but only single kernels. This is apparently due to a warped burner casting.
- I just discovered some of the oven interior coating is missing in the bottom right hand corner
Both the Durocorp service department and ADCO up to this point have resembled the Marx Brothers in one of those moments where the 4 brothers tie themselves up in knots as they all seek to blame each other for the mess.
I'm not sure if the best part was Durocorp seeking to blame my installer for the door when I told them explicitly that I personally was the only one to handle the door. Then they changed over to not paying for shipping damage (it was Durocorp's shipper as this was drop shipped from their warehouse). I explained that in this instance, I felt it was their problem to pursue the claim against their shipper, not mine.
The other classic candidate was one of the ADCO reps when I asked to be kept informed (the first time) - he said that they were more of an inbound thing than an outbound. I'm sure he thought that profound but to me it just symbolized that they don't have check lists. He followed that up with how I didn't have to worry about anything because ADCO would take care of it.
(I was at 8 phone calls at that point). I politely explained how I had no confidence in his statement. Then I explained each instance of their not taking care of it. Then I asked him specifically to write that customer was becoming obsessed with this problem and would like to be kept informed or she would be calling every day for an updated status.
Customer service from my dealer, Plessers, has been excellent. Their rep has done more calls and emails that I have. Their rep got their sales manager to call Durocorp and politely suggest he look into the situation. Miracle! Repairs approved and parts shipped the same day!
I have been left with really odd feelings about the entire experience. The range works really well - much better than any range I have had since my last 1920's stove and maybe better than that one.
I have been very happy with the burners (except for the popper), the easy cleaning of the top (no more burned on stuff), the broiler and convection baking. Regular bake is a little punky, but I expect that will clear up when the door fits.
I hope the queasy feelings will go 'way when its...