toilet and its vicinity

chuehJanuary 10, 2014

I did not have this problem when I lived alone without guests over. Now, I have a messy husband using the toilet everyday and children guests from time to time. No matter how i clean the toilet and its vicinity (I clean the entire bowl in the out, as well as the vinyl floor), the urine smell always is present. I don't use any cleaner though, because I am allergic to chemicals. I can use vinegar, baking soda, or that sort if they help.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

You may benefit from a hand-held steam cleaner that will sanitize and kill bacteria (which is causing the odor), as well as being able to safely clean nearly any surface. Because of chemical sensitivities myself, that's what I've used successfully for years.

I'd also let your husband have his turn cleaning the bathroom - cleaning equipment is one-size-fits-all - so he can have that moment of realization what he's doing in there.

While putting himself through University, my hubby was a janitor in several schools and a couple businesses (at one time he had 5 different part-time jobs and took 19-hours of credits for his Architectural degree), and because of this unique experience as a janitor when he was very young, he's very "careful" in the bathroom and can clean better than anyone I know - other than his O.C. mother (LOL).

-Grainlady

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 4:25PM
emma

If cleaners won't do it, you need to have someone pull the stool and put a new seal under it.

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 5:39PM
chueh

Thanks bunch. All sound good

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 7:41PM
ailene54

Have you taken off the seat to clean around the screws? I found this was the answer to my problem years ago, I have since replaced all seats with the kinds that slide off the screws for easy cleaning....hope this helps.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 10:59PM
kon45

Also clean the walls around the toilet and if you have wallpaper, take it down, this was my prob yrs ago with 3 little boys and a hubby.

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 4:53PM
runninginplace

Another area that can cause odor problems is when urine seeps between the tank and the seat section of the toilet. I had that issue when my son was little; took us MONTHS to figure out why we couldn't eliminate that smell.

What worked was to clean as much as possible and then my husband caulked the seam. Fixed it immediately and no more stinky toilet.

Good luck, I know how gross this is!

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 8:28AM
alameda/zone 8

This isn't cleaning, but a little bowl of vinegar can get rid of smells - works great if someone is smoking in a room. Can put a little bowl in a vehicle overnight to get rid of odors.

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 2:55AM
emma

If none of these suggestions work replace the seal. We had to pull our stool to put tile in the bathroom and the seal was bad.

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 8:29AM
More Discussions
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
Help! Lime Away hurt my sink!
Hi all, I had a new cleaning lady work in my cottage...
jlknovi
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
Urine stain on rug from dog
My sweet doggie has tinkled two different times on...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™