Toilet hard water stains

nelles_gwJanuary 25, 2013

We have a 1/2 bath that rarely is used, so there's a hard water stain on the beige toilet bowl. It's not noticable, but I know it's there. What do you suggest to get rid of the hard water deposits?

I told DH that we're going to have the flush that toilet on a semi-regular basis to prevent this from happening again.

TIA,
Ellen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emma

If and when you get it clean flush it every day or two and clean that stool just like you do the others in your home and you shouldn't have that problem. I have one downstairs, that is what I do and it is not stained.

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 9:19AM
cathleen_ni_houlihan

I have really hard water and get stains. I struggled with them for a long time, but Sno-Bol toilet cleaner is what finally worked for me.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 10:45PM
blairgirl

I have that problem in a half bathroom toilet, and I have hard water. What works is to turn off the water to the toilet (the knob underneath), then flush it to get out as much water as possible. I then take paper towels, soak them with bleach, and lay them around the interior of the toilet, and close the lid.

Come back tomorrow. The bleach will eat up the paper towels and make them flushable. The bowl will be sparkling.

Turn on the water, run a toilet bowl brush around the bowl, and flush. Perfect.

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 12:52AM
nelles_gw

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 7:53AM
azzalea

I've had very good luck with just pouring about a cup of bleach into the bowl, shutting the lid and letting it sit for a couple of hours. Had a hard water deposit in my old house that absolutely NOTHING would touch. Finally did the bleach thing, and it was gone for good. Now, that's all I use to clean my toilets

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 9:44AM
donnainmontana

Wouldn't bleach be bad for septic systems?

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 3:01PM
emma

Porcelain stools do not stain it is the calcification of the water sitting in it. I am sure you have seen it in containers where the water has evaporated and left a ring.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 4:14PM
bobnabq

I had horrible stains on mine and the only thing that worked, and worked easily, was a pumice stone. I bought it at Walmart, in the household cleaning supply section for a couple bucks. Rub it on the stains and flush. Doesn't harm the porcelain bowl.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 2:26PM
tinan

I am wary of the pumice stone because it might scratch the porcelain. Scratched porcelain will collect stains and hard water even worse than before...

I used Lemishine in our toilets when we had hard water, just add it to the water and swish around, let sit overnight. It is just citric acid (fruit acid). Putting lots of vinegar in the toilet might work as well, but we had this for the dishwasher and it's concentrated so worked well.

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 1:48AM
bobnabq

Quote: tinan
"I am wary of the pumice stone because it might scratch the porcelain."

I used the pumice stone, and it didn't scratch mine Also, it's sold for the purpose of removing stains from the toilet bowl. As for putting Lemishine or another product in the bowl's water, I had rust stains above the water line, up to the rim. I tried a wide variety of toilet cleaning products with no help but a few minutes rubbing with the pumice stone got rid of them permanently.

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 8:44AM
WholJanitorialProduc

I have also had good experiences using a pumice stone to remove the hard water stains. I haven't had a problem with it scratching the bowl.

This post was edited by WholJanitorialProduc on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 14:10

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 2:05PM
bulldinkie

Ive had this problem for years.On the toilets we use, our water has ironstone in it,hard ,hard then to make matters worse I can't use toilet bowl cleaners, it eats something in there it makes toilet keep running,costs like 40 dollars to fix .Im between a rock and a hard place literally..

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 2:37PM
lexie1397

I recently read that cola flavored soda will react with the mineral deposits, eating them away without harming the porcelain at all. I can usually find 3-liter bottles of a generic brand at my local Dollar Tree.

I will get to put this to the mother of all tests next week when I treat 8 toilets that could pass for coral reefs! A month-long soak in bleach, and two weeks in vinegar had no effect whatsoever.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 6:57PM
Yorkies2

I had a rental that the toilet hadn't been cleaned by the tenant for years. The only thing that would clean that nasty toilet was a pumice stone. It came out looking just like new.

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 11:20PM
Yorkies2

I had a rental that the toilet hadn't been cleaned by the tenant for years. The only thing that would clean that nasty toilet was a pumice stone. It came out looking just like new.

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 11:39PM
beaniebakes

I've also used pumice stone to remove rusty mineral deposits from sinks after trying every other product sold for this purpose. The pumice stone sold in hardware stores is different than the one for personal use (i.e., removing calluses from feet.) It's coarser and tends to crumble into a paste during the scrubbing process. It worked well and didn't damage two antique porcelain sinks.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 3:57PM
Lynn0668

1 bottle of Classic Coka-Cola. Pour around the rim and into the basin. Let sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Flush. Leaves the toilet bowl sparkling clean. Make sure to do maintenance cleaning every week.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 9:21AM
benlinus

I finally figured it out! It's all about the technique. The 3 things you need are:
a toilet bowl brush
a decent cleaner in a spray bottle (the Works, Kaboom, CLR, or any similar)
a bucket (most important!)
Here goes:
First, pour just enough water from the bucket into bowl to get it to flush (I use an empty 33.9 oz. plastic Folgers container, poured as quickly as possible). The water level in the bowl will now stay in the bottom of the bowl, and this eliminates the need to turn off water supply (which can be a hassle). Spray all around ring with cleaner.
Now go clean the tub, sweep floor, empty trash, get coffee, or whatever. Come back to the toilet ring in 30 minutes or so, and scrub ring with brush. Part of ring will probably be gone...maybe all. A stubborn ring will be lighter. Flush. Repeat as many times as needed. I had a stubborn ring that I'd tried everything on. It took 4 times to get ring completely gone.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 7:40AM
benlinus

I finally figured it out! It's all about the technique. The 3 things you need are:
a toilet bowl brush
a decent cleaner in a spray bottle (the Works, Kaboom, CLR, or any similar)
a bucket (most important!)
Here goes:
First, pour just enough water from the bucket into bowl to get it to flush (I use an empty 33.9 oz. plastic Folgers container, poured as quickly as possible). The water level in the bowl will now stay in the bottom of the bowl, and this eliminates the need to turn off water supply (which can be a hassle). Spray all around ring with cleaner.
Now go clean the tub, sweep floor, empty trash, get coffee, or whatever. Come back to the toilet ring in 30 minutes or so, and scrub ring with brush. Part of ring will probably be gone...maybe all. A stubborn ring will be lighter. Flush. Repeat as many times as needed. I had a stubborn ring that I'd tried everything on. It took 4 times to get ring completely gone.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 7:41AM
blairgirl

Pumice stones work great. The only thing you have to remember is that both the surface you're working on and the stone have to be wet. I just dip it in the nice clean water in the bowl as I work on the ring (and I store it in two zip lock bags with rubber gloves I use just for this purpose.)

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 6:18AM
john12358
    Bookmark   February 12, 2015 at 7:34PM
emma

If you have the stain in just one bathroom, that one probably is that way because it needs to be cleaned just like the others do. If it was hard water all the stools would be stained. I flush my basement stool ever time I go down there and clean it when I stay down there for a while, no stain.

Bookmark   February 12, 2015 at 8:05PM
AtomicJay007

Another vote for pumice stone. I usually spray some toilet bowl cleaner around the area to be scrubbed to provide a little lubrication and lessen chances of scratching the porcelain. Wet the stone first as well. I've never had a scratch doing it this way and I've been able to remove calcium rings that no liquid cleaner could.

Bookmark   February 12, 2015 at 10:03PM
More Discussions
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Coffee Pot. How to clean?
It's thermal. But I can't get the coffee stains out....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
Red wine on wall - help!
Hi. We just finished our major kitchen remodel (thank...
nicole93089
Home library is musty smelling
I have a wall, floor to ceiling, of built in bookshelves...
liseebird
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™