Wolf All Gas 2012 model vs new 2013 model

JeannefitMarch 22, 2013

Ok - so I finally whittled down my range choices to the wolf all gas however I really prefer the look of the 2012 model. I was able to find the 2012 brand new (not floor model) for the same price as the new 2013 all gas model. Beside the aesthetics' and the burner's are they fairly equal? Should I get the new and improved even though I prefer the look of the old 2012 model? Help please.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jellytoast

Yes, the 2013 model has been redesinged, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is improved. From what I understand, the design changes were implemented to reduce production costs. There are some changes that may or may not make a difference in your decision.

The new model range has an electronic spark ignitor for the oven, while the older, now discontinued model has a glow bar ignitor. With the new model, you will hear the oven make a tick, tick, tick noise whenever it re-lights itself to maintain the temperature. I had a Viking range that did the same thing and it drove me batty. The older Wolf model oven is silent, except for the slight "whoosh" when the gas ignites.

The range tops are different as well. The new model has a one piece top that cannot be moved or lifted up for cleaning, and the grates are continuous. The older model has a top that can be completely removed, as well as a pull-out drip pan, and it has separate burner grates. To me, that means easier to move and clean.

The available risers are different, too. The newer model has risers that vent directly out the top, while the older model risers vent towards the front. The five-inch riser on the older model has a different style than their larger risers.

Wolf's website states that they keep parts available for discontinued models for at least 20 years, and most for much longer, so if you are concerned about parts that shouldn't be an issue.

If you prefer the look of the 2012, you'd better grab it while you can. IMHO, the new range does not have any "better" features.

This post was edited by jellytoast on Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 19:11

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 6:59PM
cookncarpenter

As with cars, the last of a model run is always more desirable than the first year of a new model... If I was looking at Wolf right now as an option, hands down the old "unimproved" model would be my choice

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 10:27PM
wekick

If you like the older model get that. Overall, they probably aren't that different in the way they cook. There are just a few things that are a matter of preference. I have the sealed burners and really like them. They have been on the DF ranges for quite awhile and i have had mine for 5 years. I like that I don't have to take a things apart to clean them and the range is open in the bottom front, easy to clean underneath. The sealed burners also have a small pan burner in addition to the bigger burners. Try to see either live if you can. You might be able to cook on them or hear the clicking on the new one and see if it would bother you. The fan might drown it out if you use convection. You could also see how they vent.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 1:09AM
needinfo1

I am one of those who also purposely just bought one of the now-discontinued models specifically because I preferred the open burner technology over the newer that is being implemented by Wolf where all of their cook tops will now be the same and sealed in both the DF and the AG to save production costs in the factory. We've had ours a month now and are very pleased. As far as cleaning up the top, it is a piece of cake. Normally it is just a quick wipe down, but the other day we took the actual burner pans out because we were looking for the model number to set up the warranty. This was super simple too.

If you prefer the older model, get it now because there aren't many left. Or, if you want to save some money, as several people here have, see if you can find a floor model. They are fine and will save you about 20%.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
Ordered my BlueStar!
I ordered and paid my deposit on my BlueStar on Saturday....
Debbi Branka
smallest microwave (width) ever ? Please advise
I'm looking for the smallest microwave in terms of...
Pippin
Any thoughts about Bosch and GE Profile appliances?
I am building a passive house and trying to choose...
di77ce
Wall oven caution - IKEA/Nutid/Datid/Whirlpool
This post is meant to steer people away from IKEA Nutid,...
detroit_burb
DCS double wall oven--reviews?
I'm in the market for a double wall oven and saw a...
anna_chosak
Sponsored Products
"London" Square Jewelry Case
$130.00 | Horchow
Wolf Wrapped Canvas
$54.99 | zulily
Cub Winder in Lacquer Finish
$250.00 | Horchow
Wolf Composure Latex Hybrid Mattress - COM-1010
$500.00 | Hayneedle
Wolf Trail Quilt King 105 x 95 Inch
$243.95 | Bellacor