How to get olive oil off upholstery?

prairiemoon2 z6 MAJanuary 12, 2014

Dinner was spilt on an upholstered chair on Friday night. It had a slipcover on it and I put that through the wash and it came out fine. BUT...the oil that was in the dish went through to the upholstery underneath it. I used plain cold water and rubbed it with that and blotted it dry but it dried and I can still see some of the stain that I believe is olive oil, because the dish was pasta tossed with olive oil and vegetables with a little tomato sauce.

So now the fabric is dry and I want to try again to get the remainder of the stain off, but I don't want to use something toxic, like a commercial upholstery cleaner. I was glad to see this forum and I hope someone here will have some experience with this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emma

Cornstarch is what I used to use with greasy spots on furniture and wallpaper. It absorbs the grease, let it set for over night then vacuum or brush it off. Do it again if necessary.

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 5:53PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Emma, thank you! I am wondering though, since the fabric is dry, should I moisten it again before applying the cornstarch? How would you hold cornstarch on wallpaper over night?

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 8:14AM
emma

No don't do that.

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 4:32PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Ok, I'll try that tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks :-)

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 5:55PM
emma

Enough CS stays on the wall to work. I had to do it several times on some spots. If you get it wet then apply the CS it will make a mess.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 19:43

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 7:42PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Emma, I am impressed! That corn starch treatment really worked. Thankfully the stain was on the seat of the chair so it was easy enough to apply the cornstarch and keep it in place long enough for it to do the job. I put a lot on and covered it with a paper towel and then a bath towel over that and we used the chair that way for two days. Then I took a wisk broom and brushed all the cornstarch off, which actually took a bit of effort to get it all off and it still had an outline of some of the stain in white cornstarch. But after another couple of days of just having the bath towel over it, I just checked it this morning and I can't see any stain or cornstarch residue. Excellent tip, Thanks so much! :-)

Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 7:42AM
emma

Glad it worked for you. You could vacuum it now, that might help. I had a new home, 6 months later we had to go to California for my husbands company and rented the house out. There were a lot of spots on the wallpaper when we returned and CS took care of it.

Wanted to add it works on clothes, anything with grease or oil in it. I haven't used it much since the kiddies grew up. LOL

This post was edited by EmmaR on Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 9:38

Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 9:36AM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Great tip that I will pass along to my daughter. I love this one, because it was so easy and successful the first try. And I rarely use my cornstarch so I was glad to find another use for it. [g]

Thanks againâ¦!

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 7:22AM
emma

That's the only reason I have it around. I am retired from being a cook as much as a woman can be. LOL

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 9:07AM
More Discussions
easiest way to clean silk plants?
I have a bunch of silk plants, mostly in my kitchen...
drcindy
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
onions on wood cutting board odor removal?
I tried searching and haven't seen this-- We use a...
sheilaaus122
removing dog urine smell
My aister, who works full time, has had a live in nanny....
cearab
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™