Ball point pen on leather couch - help!

intherainJanuary 8, 2005

My sister just called in hysterics, saying her son just wrote all over their leather couch in ball point pen. Of course, I thought of this forum immediately. Any advice I can pass on to her that might get the pen out? (Before her husband gets home????LOL)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lydia1959

If all else fails, I've read that the stuff in the link below works well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ink Lifter

Bookmark   January 8, 2005 at 2:32PM
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

I have laminated posters at school, and hair spray works for them.
Sammy

Bookmark   January 8, 2005 at 7:07PM
cupajoe

Rubbing alcohol applied to a q-tip.The reason the laquer hairspray works is because of the alcohol content.I hope that the sofa is a light color.Tandy sells leather dyes online if she needs to touch up after she removes the ink.Unfortunately anything that removes ink will also remove dye..if she bought it from a reputable dealer,maybe she can get a professional to remove the ink.A high end car dealer in her area should be able to give her a name.Good luck.

Bookmark   January 9, 2005 at 9:56AM
PRO
Alexina Properties

Definitely what cupajoe said. My seven year old wrote all over our white Natuzzi sofa (black ink) on 3 different occasions at ages 18 months, 2 and 3 years of age. The rubbing alcohol and the qtips worked great, although it did take some repeated applications. It looks a bit splotchy at first, but then I cleaned the whole sofa off with a good wipe off of diluted Murphys soap and a microfiber cloth and it looked like new. Kids and pens are a bad combination, but boy can kids find a pen, even in a child proof drawer. I feel for your sister, hope it works out for her. Was she able to get it out? I'm a firm believer in white sofa. We have a brown leather sofa now, and I realize that if it were to get a stain the dye would really show altered in the brown. Let us know how it went.

Bookmark   January 12, 2005 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
onions on wood cutting board odor removal?
I tried searching and haven't seen this-- We use a...
sheilaaus122
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™