Under counter microwaves

boccemomMarch 23, 2012

We are planning a remodel and I am wondering if anyone has experience with the Panasonic Prestige under counter convection microwave? It is reasonably priced (compared to others) and seems to get great reviews. Looking for some first hand experience or any other recommendations. We plan to put the microwave in the kitchen island. Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chef_dupre

We just installed a Thermador MCES in our island. For us it was the only place to put it, and I wanted a smaller micro/convection oven to go with my cavernous range oven.
A few things to consider. In convection mode, the exterior (and I'm assuming you'll use a trim kit for addt'l ventilation), the exterior can get pretty hot if you are running it at 450. Probably not a wise idea if you have small children.If you do have children, and they are only using the microwave feature, having it closer to their size may be preferable to adult eye level, or counter-top applications.
After years of eye level microwaves, it does take some getting used to for the "bend and nuke" usage.
On the upside, having a smaller oven cavity is ideal for smaller items (I baked a couple of potatoes earlier in the week) and was glad I didn't need to fire up a 5.7 cu foot oven for the task.

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 11:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boccemom

Thank you! I will look at the Thermador and compare. Great point about running convection at high temps; it would be nice to have the smaller oven for quick things. Will keep researching!

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 7:15AM
More Discussions
Island hood location/height
I've got a cooktop that's 20" X 37" that...
dickross
Best place to buy appliance parts
I have a GE range (6 yrs of age) for which I need parts....
puzzlefan
Induction + Teppanyaki match?
Hi all, We are beginning our new build. Before we...
twobelles
Questions about noisy back draft damper on vent hood roof cap
One female here who is definitely not a diy type person....
texasgal47
Anybody seen/used the new Bosch Benchmark appliances?
I think they are shipping these now. I have largely...
Juno_barks
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™