refrigerator french door not closing

peaveeMarch 10, 2008

My viking counter depth refrigerator door is not closing all the way w/o giving it a push.There is a buzzer that sounds after awhile but many times we are gone from the room and new comers aren't aware of the buzzer( it's very soft.) I was told by a Viking rep that Jenn air and Viking partnered with this hinge and you have to push it to close. I've never had that problem with any other fridge. Anybody else?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amirm

I have seen that problem on all of these units. And your guy is right. You have to push the (left) door in or it would not close by itself. There is a plastic rotating hinge that is lubricated to make it easier to close. But in every unit I have played with, they will often not self close. This is the reason we are avoiding these units in our next purchase.

I think the only one that got it right is the new Subzero ($12-$15K unit). All the rest use this plastic rotating piece to cover the gap between the two doors (without it, they would hit each other given the large depth of the door frame).

Just go to a showroom and play with the others and you see that they all have the same problem more or less. If the lubricant is wiped off from yours, adding it may make the problem less severe.

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 11:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laney50w

Hi there Peavee,

Yeah, this is how it is. Your Viking is an Amana refrigerator, and a good refrigerator. This is just how they're designed. It's one of the most reliable units out there. There's only two companies out there making French Door models....LG and Amana.

Granted, you may have to close it manually, but, it's still a very good refrigerator, and should last a long time.

Our company has very little problems with Amana models. We not only sell them, but we also do repair work, as well.

I'll take my Amana any day. I love mine!

Chris

Bookmark   March 11, 2008 at 1:37AM
More Discussions
Wolf porcelain chipping on new ovens
Argggggg!!!! New wolf E series ovens, purchased and...
jackson2348
Wolf oven error on self clean: TCO detect as open
I've had two Wolf E series for nearly 2 years (single...
repac
New Bertazzoni Induction Range?
I just saw a press release from Bertazzoni about a...
ltislander
Need advice on combining induction and gas
This is my first post. Please forgive the length or...
jdsb2
Removal of Dishwasher Detergent Build-Up
I have a Miele dishwasher in a rental unit that has...
dimond
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™