Old dishwasher - help needed

lasia221January 10, 2012

We're renting an old house and are limited on many things. We do have city water, I am not sure if we have "hard water" (how do you know?) or if there's a water softener installed. The dishwasher is older; it gets things clean but will leave spots behind. I don't know if it they are hard water spots or something different. It's very noticeable when I put nonstick pots & pans in there, they require a wipe down with a sponge afterwards. Glasses are noticeable sometimes. Plastic things are also very noticeable.

I've tried two different dishwasher detergents. Cascade all in 1 complete, which is a packet of powder + a liquid; we've also used the Finish brand "powerball" tablets. Neither one is any better.

What is being left behind....detergent? Water stains?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krissie55

Sounds like hard water deposits. Fill the rinse dispenser with white vinegar, this will probably correct the problem.

Vinegar works better than Jet Dry and is less expensive too.

Bookmark   January 10, 2012 at 7:40PM
lazy_gardens

Dump a couple of cups of white vinegar into the empty dishwasher and run the shortest cycle. That cleans out any mineral buildup. Then, when you do dishes, dump a cup of white vinegar in the bottom of the washer every couple of days.

Our water softener broke, and this is keeping my dishes free of that cloudy calcium deposits.

Bookmark   January 12, 2012 at 1:04PM
mary_c_gw

And don't wash non-stick pots and pans in the dishwasher - it will degrade the coating over time.

Bookmark   January 14, 2012 at 9:33PM
jannie

Like Mary said, don't wash non-stick pots in DW. I ruined 2 expensive ($125 each) skillets by not hand-washing, as instructed.

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
eviemp
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
ink marks
How to remove ink (lines from a pen) on a sofa? Also,...
kathyg_in_mi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™