Powder Room size recommendations?

scubatedMarch 5, 2008

We need to relocate our powder room in order to do our kitchen expansion. We are going into the adjacent living room 3 feet in depth. What is the smallest size (width) I would need to accomodate a pedestal sink and toilet and a 30inch door of course. The door can be on either end or in the center.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flatcoat2004

I looked into this when planning my remodel. I think the minimum size depends on the shape of your footprint and where your door is located. You need to keep in mind the minimum clearances around the toilet required by code (off the top of my head, I think minimum 15" from centerline of toilet to walls, and also some minimum distance from front of toilet to wall). Technically it could fit in 4'x4', but that is a pretty tight space.

Mine is 4.5'x5', with the toilet and tiny pedestal sink against the short wall opposite the door.

Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 7:35PM
scubated

The current powder room is just 4X4 with a door swinging in. It is very tight for the toilet. My GC is doing a door swinging out if that makes any difference.

Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 7:53PM
raehelen

If it helps, you can always do a 28" door. Ours into our main bathroom is 28", and I wouldn't have known, unless I had measured it.

Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 10:29PM
weedyacres

I'm thinking 3x7 would be about the minimum if you don't want to get too cramped. Put the toilet on one 3' wall facing the vanity on the other 3' wall, and the door in the center of one of the 7' walls so that you open the door and see the toilet to the right and the sink to the left (or vice versa).

Search on "tiny powder room" as there was a recent post where someone did a tiny one and they had a different layout that worked for them.

Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 10:39PM
flatcoat2004

If you can carve out a long narrow space, a pocket door might also be an option if installed in the long wall. This would eliminate doorswing considerations, but I know some people don't like using pocket doors on bathrooms for noise/privacy reasons.

Bookmark   March 6, 2008 at 3:00PM
robarba

We have a plan similar to what flatcoat described. I hope a rug may dampen the noise but the pocket door will save tons of space as the room is very narrow. It also allows light from the bathroom to shine through whereas a door would block the light.

Bookmark   March 6, 2008 at 11:55PM
oruboris

Mine is 3x6 with a full width vanity on one end, toilet on the other. The door is centered on a long wall and swings out.

It's probably the most popular bath in the house, for some reason.

Bookmark   March 7, 2008 at 4:47AM
paddytc

Mine is 4'6" wide with depth of 5'. Our door is only 24" wide in swing. I'm like raehelen I never notice the width of door until I measured today. It always felt just as wide as all my other doors in the house. I actually measured all doors in the house because I was so surprised.

Bookmark   March 7, 2008 at 8:59AM
More Discussions
Trying to reconfigure master bath to include washer dryer
How does this layout look? how could I make this space...
cinnamon01
Has anyone seen an interior door handle like this in the States?
Sorry for the link but I couldn't find an image to...
ceezeecz
Small bathroom from scratch - layout help needed
http://www.homestyler.com/designprofile/b86dc96a-7c58-42f3-8ba3-408b7c9610f2...
peace_rose
Marble bathroom question?
I am a lurker on this forum and have learnt a lot from...
sokool1
? Factory sealed carrera tile- anyone??
I went to the tile store today and was planning on...
amspinn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™