Electric floor heat or radiant towel warmers

GreenDog194March 28, 2012

We are debating whether it would be better to put in electric coils below the tile in our ground floor bathroom, or heat the room with a heated towel rack tied to our boiler and radiant heat system.

There are two bathrooms on the lower level. The bathrooms down there are not that big, nice but not over the top fancy. They would get used daily. They have no windows. Towels seem to get musty down there now. There are Runtal panel radiators in the other rooms. No other heat source in the bathrooms.

The concern I have about the electric mat under the tiles is how do they get that down without creating more height. Do the contractors need to chip down the concrete? I hate tripping into the bathroom over a threshold.

I have not fully investigated the radiant heat towel racks. Some of the Runtal ones seem quite pricey. But perhaps it is about the same as the materials and install for the warm electric mat coil system.

I would love to learn from your experiences and recommendations!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
onikoroshi

The cheapest and easiest solution to warm your bathroom would be to add the heated towel rack and a warming light/vent like the one from panasonic.

I would be weary of any contractor that would try and lower your original concrete slab. Once you remove your tile and smooth down the leftover thin set, you glue or tape down the heated flooring mats/wires then cover them with SLC or mortar and let it dry. Then you install your tile or membrane as normal. The added height will be about 1/8". Are you redoing the tile outside the bathroom? Is the same type of tile?

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 6:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sayde

I have both in my master bath. The towel heater is actually a hydronic radiator. I think both are needed-- and in addition, an overhead fan/heat lamp.

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
Minimum size for walk-in shower?
What is the minimum recommended size for a walk in...
uscroy
72 in vanity in a 77 inch space?
We have a small master bath that we are redoing. We...
katie111
No door to bathroom
We are picking our interior doors out tomorrow. I like...
holcombe3
need bathroom drain advice
Need advice. I am putting in a built in shower 3ft...
checkman123
Shower drain installed off-center in subfloor - how to fix? Urgent...
Well back to the (new & improved?) Gardenweb. I...
AHMIowa_NJ
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™