Installing a Freestanding Tub w/o Overflow

pat2katMarch 5, 2012

I've also posted this on the plumbing forum, but this one seems to be more active.

We have a freestanding tub that does not have an overflow -- as is true of a lot of freestanding tubs these days. Our plumber, however, is unsure about what drain to use to install it. Has anyone here installed such a tub? If so, any advice?

Installation instructions are of little help. Internet searches turn up references to "straight shoes" and "straight drains." Some also say that this sort of installation requires access from below -- which would be possible if necessary.

Finally, I'm wondering if the best option would be using a stopper instead of a lift-and-turn or toe kick drain, because that would make it easier to clean the drain if need be. We will be using the tub primarily for soaking after a long day of gardening -- or for just when a long soak would feel good -- so it won't be used everyday.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lovemcm

Bump. I am also looking at freestanding tubs and would prefer to go without overflow to get a higher water level. pat2kat, what did you end up using?

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 1:25AM
More Discussions
Vanity from CabinetDIY - FYI
Just an FYI: we started to build the vanity from a...
melle_sacto
Vote Now on Color Plan 1, 2, or 3!
I have been planning the bathroom remodel for two years...
nancyinmich
banjo sink? opinions?
just learned that a BANJO sink is one (or its surrounding...
mainewire
Console legs for wall-mount sink?
We have installed this sink in our bathroom: http://www.ybath.com/duravit-starck-3-double-furniture-washbasin.html?utm_medium=pla&utm_source=google&utm_content=duravit-starck-3-double-furniture-washbasin&cvosrc=pla.google.duravit-starck-3-double-furniture-washbasin&gclid=CKjNlI3C08QCFYhhfgodmE8A8Q The...
lesleymatson
Toilets, anyone?
Ten years ago we put in the Toto Ultramax after reading...
anniel58
Sponsored Products
Wall Mount Spice Rack
$11.99 | zulily
Rectangular White Ceramic Wall Mounted, Vessel, or Built-In Sink
TheBathOutlet
39 Inch Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Brown Grommet Frame
$9.99 | zulily
Gama Sonic Posts Imperial Outdoor Black Solar LED Post Light on 3 in. Fitter
Home Depot