New home buyer needs help with Kitchenaid electric range

linda2007March 5, 2013

My son is buying his first home. All the appliances in the home are over 20 years old and need replacing. He found a KitchenAid free standing electric range at a close out price, but we can't find a review anywhere. The model is Kitchen Aid Architect Series II KERS308XSS1. It has been discontinued and replaced with another model. We are worried that the good deal maybe due to problems with the range. We would appreciate any feedback!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

Do the existing appliances work? If so, they don't need to be replaced just for being 20 years old. :-)

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 7:43PM
julieboulangerie

I bought a similar house (17 years) old and started by replacing the "musts" because the previous owners took them with- refrigerator, washer, dryer. 6 months later, I moved on to the dishwasher. The ancient dishwasher, while a cleaning champion, accounted for 1/3 of my water use. Another 6 months later, I replaced the range hood and range. Now, I think I'm done for the foreseeable future.

I guess what I am saying is that if the appliances are present and generally in working order, live with them for awhile while you determine a budget and if you have additional needs that you haven't considered yet. On the other hand, if you just need a range, and you can get a reasonable deal and it meets your needs, buy it.

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 9:30PM
jwvideo

According to the Consumer Reports annual membership surveys. Of 40,000 members who bought an electric stove since 2007, those with KitchenAid electric stoves are the almost least reliable brand (exceeded only by brandmate JennAir). These two run with about a 14-16% defect and major problem rate. By comparison, GE/Hotpoint runs around 4%. Interestingly, Whirlpool (which makes both KitchenAid and JennAir) has a low 6% defect rate for electric stoves.

For several years, Kitchenaid also has had a problem with oven self-cleaning functions toasting the oven controller and/or an overtemperature protection swtich. Several threads here about that problem if you want to research it further.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 1:52AM
More Discussions
Need feedback on KOBE Range Hood
Hello! I'm looking at buying a KOBE range hood. The...
bblakeney
New Bluestar RCS model - Any Info? (RCS366BV2)
Most of the 36" RCS models are RCS36IRV1 right...
kwest2
Bluestar platinum vs Capital Culinarian
We are deciding on kitchen appliances for our upgrade...
malba2366
Ordered my BlueStar!
I ordered and paid my deposit on my BlueStar on Saturday....
Debbi Branka
Bosch Speed Microwave Oven vs. GE Advantium?
We had a GE Advantium for 7 years and used it 2-3 times...
erikgerard
Sponsored Products
Teak Hamper
$529.00 | FRONTGATE
XtremeAIR 42 Inch Island Mount 900 CFM Stainless Steel Range Hood PX06-I42
eModern Decor
Salon Grand 6-Light Chandelier by Minka-Lavery
$399.90 | Lumens
Textured Lines Rug 12' x 15' - NAVY
$5,899.00 | Horchow
Fiesta Duvet Cover
$109.99 | Dot & Bo