Non-Rusting Shower Curtain Rods

jeff_90254March 17, 2013

I canâÂÂt tell you how many shower curtain rods I replaced in our shower stall due to rust. Does anyone make a high quality adjustable rod in a brushed nickel or satin finish that will maintain its appearance? Stainless would be great.

Perhaps I have to bite the bullet and get something fabricated?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dekeoboe

I canâÂÂt tell you how many shower curtain rods I replaced in our shower stall due to rust.

Really? I can't ever remember having a shower curtain rod rust. I don't even remember them getting wet. Are you sure you don't have another problem and this is just a symptom? What is your ventilation like in the bathroom?

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 5:35PM
brickeyee

They usually have heavy enough plating to not have that much of a problem.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:12PM
jeff_90254

Positive. The curtain rod doesn't get wet directly, but is certainly in a humid environment and collects moisture due to it's location.

The vent fan works fine. This is a small bathroom measuring about 8' x 8' x 5'.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:30PM
divotdiva

I have a rusted one now in a BR with no vent fan. Hope to correct that soon, but yes the shower rod rusts. Plus I live in Hawaii so the air is somewhat corrosive even though I don't live beachfront.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 9:18PM
torontotim

How long of a rod do you need? Not sure why you'd need an adjustable one, or worry about having something fabricated.

A $8 pipe cutter makes short work of a shower rod. Buy one longer than you need and cut it to length.

How does it hang in the shower? Is it one of these tension units? If that's the case you're likely out of luck finding something solid brass etc. You likely need a properly mounted shower rod with brackets permanently mounted to the walls to hold a solid brass, chrome plated rod that you cut to length.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here are some brass shower rods

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 9:31PM
torontotim

Again - to emphasize - you need something made out of brass - it doesn't rust. That's why good faucets and bathroom fixtures are all cast from brass.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 9:33PM
jeff_90254

It doesnâÂÂt have to be adjustable. TheyâÂÂre just easier to buy that way. Right now I have one that telescopes out as it unscrews and presses against the side of the shower, holding by friction. That part works well. After a few years though, they all just seem to rust and look terrible.

You're right, it looks like I can just buy some brushed stainless or aluminum tubing at a local metal supply and cut to length. The shower walls are travertine and I can buy end clips that screw in permanently. Hopefully, *they* donâÂÂt rust. Thanks.

This post was edited by jeff_90254 on Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 0:36

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 12:30AM
Reed01

You may want to try showerrods.com they carry shower rods that won't rust, and some high-quality ones too.

Your best bet are brass rods or stainless steel.

And if you need custom fabricated shower rods they can also create one to fit your shower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shower Rods

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 12:19PM
jeff_90254

Wow, an entire website dedicated to shower rods with every end flange style you could imagine!! Who'd have thunk it?

This is great Reed01 and exactly what I need. Thank you very much.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 12:51PM
More Discussions
Shower door for neo-angle
If you have a neo-angle shower where the tiled walls...
cataan
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
Date on thinset
Someone mentioned they would help homeowners decode...
mmaggied
Shower glass strong enough to hold towel?
We will be getting semi-frameless glass shower walls....
risforremodel
Microsilk vs. Air Tub (Jason) OR Bain Ultra
Apologies for the additional thread. I realize there...
divotdiva
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™