Cleaning Bathtub

shappyJanuary 24, 2006

I have a jacuzzi tub, 5 years old I guess it's acrylic. It has bumps on the bottom and over the years they've turned sort of grey, I've tried everything -nothing cleaned it--and just tried "lysol basin and tub cleaner" with pretty minimal scrubbing got my tub white again!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris123s

The Mr. Clean magic erasers work great on tubs too. You don't really have to scrub, and they leave the tub very shiny!

Bookmark   January 24, 2006 at 10:38AM
glassquilt

Is it possible the surface material has worn off and you're seeing the stuff underneath.

Bookmark   January 25, 2006 at 3:40PM
bodiCA

I stopped using jetted tubs in my travels after once using Dial Clean Rinse Bath Gel drawing my bathe. When I returned to enjoy the deep tub, the bubbles were black on the top. YUCK!

Bookmark   January 25, 2006 at 8:37PM
cherylnsw

I recently watched an English show called 'How clean is your house?', they used an emzyme based clothes washing powder to clean a filthy bath, most of the soiling is actually body oils and the emzymes work on those. Said to leave it overnight, I have tried this it does work.

They also cleaned a jacuzzi tub by adding about 6 dishwasher tabs to it. Ran it for a while, can't remember how long but the muck it bought up was unbelievable - the tub shone afterwards.

Bookmark   January 31, 2006 at 6:24AM
bodiCA

Doesn't that make you re think using a jet tub when traveling? Shocking how much'muck' grows in there. I wear shower shoes in hotel showers too, just incase. I get tired cleaning my rooms everywhere I go, but housekeeping love me.
Great tips, the dishwasher tabs and enzimes, I also use denture tabs to clean smaller items.

Bookmark   January 31, 2006 at 5:15PM
broodyjen

To clean my jacuzzi tub jets I just pour a cupful of bleach into the full tub and run the jets for a few minutes. I got that off the Hints from Heloise page, I think. Big box stores that sell the tubs also sell special cleaner for them, but seems to me that bleachwater would do the trick....

Bookmark   January 31, 2006 at 8:15PM
dotcom2000

If it is fiberglass, use SoftScrub GEL. Put it on, let it sit for 5 - 10 mins, scrub with a scotchbrite side of spounge, rinse well. You won't believe it!

Bookmark   July 8, 2006 at 9:07PM
mboston_gw

I love Lysol basin and tube cleaner. Actually liked their "Direct" product better but they stopped making it a couple years ago. Every once in a while I also pour some Clorox Clean up Liquid in it and add water.

Bookmark   July 9, 2006 at 8:10PM
callum_boase_bathroom-cleaning_com

You could try using diluted ammonia, that often works to lift tough stains and should be safe on the bathtub surface.

Or try baking soda and water.

Of course you could buy a commercial bathtub cleaning product, which should help to the trick as well, if you in fact are looking at built up dirt, rather than permanent damage to your tub.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom-cleaning.com - Cleaning Bathtubs

Bookmark   February 18, 2011 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
Mold/ Mildew out of clothing, Can it be done?
I have a pink and a blue shirt that were not unpacked...
saphire
hard water marks on glasses
Can anyone tell me how to clean hard water marks from...
MIStepMom
Need Suggestions: How Do I Get Smell Out Of Pet Bed?
Not sure where to post this. Needs suggestions. Got...
peabody1
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
Carpet Cleaning: Can it Ruin the Carpet?
I've never had a professional carpet cleaning, but...
Cassandra
Sponsored Products
Howard Elliott Opal Beaded 12" x 16" Wall Mirror
$84.91 | Lamps Plus
Couristan Anatolia Antique Herati Oriental Rug - Red-Cream Multicolor - 2867/000
$89.00 | Hayneedle
Moda Square Chrome Thirteen-Light 26-Inch Pendant with Swarovski Strass Bordeaux
Bellacor
Safavieh Area Rug: Soho Beige/Multi 5' x 8'
Home Depot
Meditub 26x53 Left Drain Biscuit Whirlpool & Air Jetted Walk-In Bathtub
Beyond Stores
Copeland Furniture | Sarah 2-Drawer/4-Door Buffet
YLiving.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™