Cleaning car mats made of carpet backed with plastic

linnea56January 8, 2009

We ordered removable carpet mats for our new car. We got clear matting to put over that, but it was too lightweight and did not stay in place. In no time DD got the carpet mats very muddy. I bought new heavier clear vinyl mats that will not shift around (I hope), but need to clean the carpeting ones. I took them out assuming I could machine wash them like I did the ones in our old car, only to find they have a rigid plastic backing.

What do you use to clean something like that? ItÂs not in the car care manual because they are not standard equipment, but an add-on.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arizonarose

I've cleaned mine with the spray foam upholstery cleaner that comes in a can. Also I've used my bissle green mean machine with carpet shampoo.

Since we've moved to a milder climate I haven't had the problem your talking about. Just vacumn and spot clean them now. When we lived in Michigan I started removing them in the winter and using the heavier clear vinyl mats during the winter months.

Bookmark   January 8, 2009 at 9:31AM
jannie

I live in the Northeast, with harsh winters. I can't wash my car mats easily in winter. I remove them and shake them out about once a month. I go to a professional carwash rarely (like once or twice a year) where they thoroughly vacuum.

Bookmark   January 8, 2009 at 10:34AM
graywings123

In the winter, I soak them in the bathtub in hot water and detergent and oxyclean, then scrub with a brush and spray rinse them. Then I prop them up on the sides of the tub so that the water drains off them and they slowly dry.

Bookmark   January 8, 2009 at 2:33PM
michelle_phxaz

I always threw them in my TL, cloth side out, with some old towels and rags. I really works well, then lay them in the sun to dry.

Bookmark   January 8, 2009 at 5:17PM
dudleyfuddpucker

I always laid them on the driveway, dampened them a bit with the hose, sprinkled on some laundry detergent (or dripped, if you prefer liquid), then scrubbed all over with a stiff brush, finally rinsing thoroughly with a power washer.

I've used this method for 20+ years and it works very, very, very well. After drying they look new (excepting the wear spots from my heels).

Bookmark   January 8, 2009 at 6:25PM
More Discussions
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
Anyone have this problem with their BONA floor mop?
My BONA floor mop has no trigger pizazz (for lack of...
kaisermust
cleaning a black granite sink
I am new to this forum and after enjoying scrolling...
debpoll9
Dishes smell 'fishy' after dishwasher
All my dishes and flatware have a funky sort of odor...
michelle_phxaz
Sponsored Products
Sunburst Hoop Modern Lounge Chair in Green
$397.99 | Dot & Bo
Colonial Ivory Wildflowers Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 8 Ft. 3 In. Rug
$364.50 | Bellacor
Area Rug: San Jose 5' 3" x 7' 6" Contemporary
Home Depot
WG Wood Products Solid Wood Six-Shelf Surface Mounted Kitchen Spice Rack
Overstock.com
Landmann Pizza Kettle Charcoal Grill - 525110
$299.99 | Hayneedle