can you help me save my favorite bowl?

gellchomNovember 22, 2005

Many years ago, I received a set of three pottery bowls from a favorite cousin as a wedding gift. Only the largest remains, and it is may favorite bowl -- I use it all the time. But tonight, after mixing up pie crust dough in it for Thanksgiving and washing it, I dropped it against a granite countertop. It didn't come apart, but there is a long crack down the side that seems like I could pull it apart if I tried. I just set it aside until I could get some advice from all of you.

Is there a way to save it? Do I put glue along the crack? Something else?

Thank you in advance. I feel so bad about it, and I really would like to save it if it's possible.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tennguy

Superglue might hold it together, but you can't use it much after that. What about finding a potter to make you another one?
Stay with me. You can grind up your old bowl, since it is a favorite, and add it to some new clay and make a new bowl. If you get the potter to make a mold of your present bowl, the new one can have the same shape!
Since the clay you're adding will make a larger batch, you might ask about having the 3 original bowls made again. An artist-potter is more likely to undertake this as a project than a more "industrial" type person.
Would be nice to keep the "soul" of a favorite old bowl, along with the memories. Good luck!

Bookmark   December 13, 2005 at 2:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gellchom

Thanks for the reply. Why can't you use it after you use superglue? If I use superglue, how do I do it -- just apply it along the crack?

Bookmark   December 13, 2005 at 2:27PM
More Discussions
Slip casting smoker/ grill
Hello all Please forgive me I am a metal guy. Also...
Daveweldz
Any Polymer clay qustions????
Hi, I am a polymer clay artist. I see that there were...
elaineinnj
Ceramics/China Enthusiasts Forums, Clubs?
Hello, Does anyone know of any china enthusiast forums,...
davidnc
Received Kilm
I received a Kilm from my Aunt it is a small 110 electric...
jjaazzy
Home made polymer clay
Hi, everyone. I'm new to this forum, I hang out on...
Rusty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™