christmas character ornaments

ArtsyCraftsyNovember 17, 2002

I bought these adorable polymer clay ornaments at our company's annual book & gift fair, which raises money for our childcare center.

They all came in a cute paper-covered hinged box with collaged snowmen on the top. I am going to give each of the ornies as gifts and use the box to hold a gift of some kind of holiday treat...mixes or candy?

The sad thing is the whole set including box cost only $12. Could you imaging the time it takes to create each one of these poly clay characters? They are 3" high & extremely well done, even to the caning that creates the clothing patterns and the braided spaghettis of clay that create the textured sweater on mr. snowman.

No way a crafter could sell these for $2 each. I feel like a traitor, but it was for the tots, lol!! Some little kid in China probably got paid $1 a day to make these....*sigh*

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: ornaments

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
monica2001

Hi, Karen: I felt guilty about buying stuff from China for a long time. BUT, I came to the conclusion that who ever made the article might be starving if it wasn't for the home industry.

Bookmark   November 18, 2002 at 7:13PM
Lia_SC

Meant to tell you I love the beard and moustache on the Santa. My pasta machine has a spaghetti maker part; we should try that. The little "knitted" sweater is unbelievable! Lots of detail on all of them. We can really appreciate the work that went into them, eh?

Bookmark   November 25, 2002 at 11:09AM
minnie_tx

I just took a look at them and loved them .I feel the same way about buying "foreign" stuff but when you think about it there isn't that much made in the states anymore. I have to hand it to those who can sell their crafts now.
BTW We used the old garlic press for our beards and hair.

Bookmark   December 8, 2002 at 8:37PM
More Discussions
cat plates
Is there a market for these purchased cat plates from...
Love1cat4me
Ceramics/China Enthusiasts Forums, Clubs?
Hello, Does anyone know of any china enthusiast forums,...
davidnc
Slip casting smoker/ grill
Hello all Please forgive me I am a metal guy. Also...
Daveweldz
Old Kiln: Need manual or help
I found this kiln at an estate sale for $25.oo and...
Nashonii
Home made polymer clay
Hi, everyone. I'm new to this forum, I hang out on...
Rusty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™