dental tools for polymer clay?

Diane_from_NJOctober 18, 2002

I am on a sewing jag right now, but I have all my clay stuff waiting for me.....But today I went to the dentist for the first time in 8 years, yes I know, bad mommy, bad mommy...but childhood phobias die hard (and I digress).

ANYWAY! LOL! (if you were to actually talk to me, you'd find that I speak the same way. I swear I have A.D.D!)

the tech unwrapped this package of all the dental tools, and I started salivating and asked her what they were going to do w/them when we were done. I remember someone on tv saying that they are GREAT for polymer clay.

The woman was SHOCKED that someone would suggest something like that. The tools are sterilized, packed in sealed packages and used over & over. She said, can you IMAGINE how expensive your dental appt would be if they weren't?!

So. Do YOUR dentists give you their tools for your PC?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lia_SC

Diane, do we have a parallel existence going on here? I just went to the dentist a few weeks ago (1st time in 8 yrs for me, too *blush* --but I have great teeth, good home hygiene, and promised not to wait so long anymore...)
Anyway, (LOL!) I asked the same question. The people in the polyclay e-group were always saying they got dental tools. Free. But my hygienist told me the same exact thing. :-/
I THINK you hafta bribe 'em. That is, make some cute little clay object for them to set in their office. Or maybe wear a breathtaking necklace and when they admire it, give it to them. Problem is, no one ever admires my work. So I guess I'm outta luck.

(Can you IMAGINE your dental visit could be any MORE expensive?!)

Bookmark   October 19, 2002 at 11:25AM
rosie_ga

My dentist's assistant gave me three different ones. I asked her (not the dentist)if they had any that were broken that they didn't use anymore. The three she gave me just had small nicks in the handle or side. Great for molding or pressing in small places.

Bookmark   October 20, 2002 at 8:42AM
roanimare

Hi -- Our dentist re-uses his tools too - after cleaning of course! I hope! You can buy dental tools at many flea markets, rock and gem shows, and I even saw them at this site below under "tools" which has lots of crazy things for around $2.50 each. I get their catalog and it's fun to look through:

:0)

Here is a link that might be useful: American Science & Surplus

Bookmark   October 20, 2002 at 12:38PM
ArtsyCraftsy

I got mine at a local farmer market where there are flea market booths. Paid about $2 each.

Bookmark   October 21, 2002 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
very old dried out glazes
I haven't fired anything in almost 15 years. I have...
cbgtennis
Bisque BArrel Firing
Is it possible to bisque fire in a barrel? I tried...
DouglasWaltz
Received Kilm
I received a Kilm from my Aunt it is a small 110 electric...
jjaazzy
Any Polymer clay qustions????
Hi, I am a polymer clay artist. I see that there were...
elaineinnj
Slip casting smoker/ grill
Hello all Please forgive me I am a metal guy. Also...
Daveweldz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™