3D Shapelet Pendants --Sculpey's, Mine & my problems
I found this project yesterday and devoted most of my day to it. :-/ It looked so simple!
I only have 2 brass stencils and neither is good for this project, so I used a plastic one instead. I don't think I'd ever used Lumiere paints on polymer clay... And I only have 3 colors of that. They go on great and dry so quickly, but when I came to the part where the clay needs to be shaped over the peanut, some of the paint rubbed off. I guess because I pressed it into my palm; that's the only way I could figure how to get it "puffed" out. I was using the Kato clay, BTW, and I wonder if Sculpey might have worked better... Then again, I may have rolled it too thick. I didn't feel like fiddling with 3/32 of an inch!!
The only thing I was worried about was getting the edges to seal. I didn't really have a problem with that.
When I took them out of the oven, they still didn't have the kind of puffiness I wanted. So I squeezed the corners, and because of the holes I'd made, air seeped in. Holding right where I wanted it, I plunged it into cold water and PRESTO! it held the shape.
Because cornstarch peanut was inside, the water melted it and it dribbled out the holes.
I was pressing down on the bottom half of the leaf one so it would catch the light while scanning. Hence, the warbled effect of the scan.
Oh, yeah... I glazed them with FFF (Future floor finish).
I wanted to use black organza ribbon but didn't have any. Silk cord wouldn't go through the holes, so I glued a piece of plastic tubing to the back of the leaf one. I thought it might be pretty to paint a ribbon with matching Lumieres.