42' vs 48' KitchenAid SxS

MardoMarch 6, 2012

We've decided to go with KAid SxX fridge and originally planned for 42". DH is a "go big or go home" kinda guy and is gently pushing to go for 48" now. It's only a matter of a few extra hundred dollars, but the extra 6" will now decrease size of upper and lower cabinets next to fridge. Is 6" of fridge worth 6" of storage/beautiful cabinetry, or vice versa? It's only DH and I living in the house.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dodge59

We bought the 48" Jenn-air about 5 years ago.

In fact I designed the whole kitchen around that fridge.
We were tired of stuff always being crammed into our old, but fairly large GE, and when some eggs fell out of it and "decorated" the floor, that was when we decided to remodel the kitchen.

At first I was considering the 42" but after looking at both we went with the 48" built in and have never regretted it. Plenty of both freezer and fridge space.

Any Yes, there are just 2 of us.

Gary

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 4:18PM
sayde

We have a 48 KA Side by side. It is probably about 15 years old now and still going strong. There are just the two of us and both the refrigerator and freezer are full (granted we have some unique freezer needs -- berries from the garden and suet for the birds among other things).

I am always amazed seeing kitchens with huge ranges and little refrigerators. We have just the reverse -- a 30 inch range and a 48 inch refrigerator/freezer. Works for us.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 5:30PM
mydreamhome

Mom has 42" KA and tells me practically everyday that they should have gone with the 48". I think the depth of those built in fridges is less than a counter depth fridge. Yes, it is worth it to lose 6" of counter/cabinet space for the bigger fridge.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 8:17PM
wekick

We have the 48" and glad to have it. Just the two of us, but we manage to keep it full and need it especially if putting on a big dinner.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 8:28PM
cat_mom

We have a 42" KA built-in SxS. Had we gone with the 48" which we did very briefly consider, we'd have lost valuable (much needed) cabinet space along that wall. I wanted a 6 burner range, so that was non-negotiable. It's just DH and I in our home.

Once thing that made the 42" vs a 48" a viable option, was the fact that we held onto our old SxS fridge (it's now in our garage), so can use it for overflow when/as needed. Otherwise, the 42" is plenty big enough for our day-to-day needs.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
Difference between advantium and convection microwave
I had almost decided on the ge advantium (monogram)...
athensmomof3
New cooktop slightly smaller than old cutout in granite
I have a 36 " gas cooktop in my granite countertop...
chirs1
54" Zephyr Monsoon II vs. Best by Broan 54" Potenza - Clear Winner??
GW, Ahhh - my favorite place to be the past 12 months...
Andrew K.
Need help with appliance choices, layout critique
Hey all. We have a preliminary kitchen plan attached. I...
jennifer2413
Bosch Speed Microwave Oven vs. GE Advantium?
We had a GE Advantium for 7 years and used it 2-3 times...
erikgerard
Sponsored Products
KitchenAid 12-Piece Delrin Red Cutlery Set
Overstock.com
KitchenAid Nickel Pearl Pro 600 6-quart Stand Mixer ** with $50 Cash Mail-in Reb
Overstock.com
KitchenAid KP26M1XTG Tangerine 6-quart Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer ** with $50 Cash Ma
Overstock.com
KitchenAid RKFP710OB Onyx Black 7-cup Food Processor (Refurbished)
Overstock.com
KitchenAid RKSB560ER Empire Red 5-speed Artisan Blender (Refurbished)
Overstock.com
KitchenAid Pro Line Series Stand Mixer
$549.99 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™