Anything to do to change the texture of a tile?

mahatmacat1July 18, 2005

Hi--I'm mostly a Kitchens person, now becoming a Baths person, with occasional forays into Appliances, Mosaics, Flooring...you all look like the right group to ask this question...

We are reluctantly choosing a particular rectified porcelain wall tile for our DIY bath remodel because of its looks, but I *really* don't like the texture of it--it's matte to the point of being kind of chalkily resistant, not a luscious chalky like soapstone. In tactile terms, we vastly prefer a satin-finish simpler ceramic tile, but it's just not got the visual points of the frontrunner (which has the vaguest shadows on it that pick up the floor tile color). So I like the feel of one, and the looks of the other. Here's the question:

Would there be a way, aftermarket, to 1) change the texture of the frontrunner tile, put some kind of coating on it to make it smoother to the touch (I'm a big touch person) or 2) add some kind of shadowing to the satin-finish tile to make it relate more to the floor? I'm not afraid of trying things--I am just finishing up a glass tile mosaic backsplash, my first ever mosaic effort ever :) So I'm willing to read up and practice and give things a try.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zenpotter

FlyLeft,

Just answered one of your older questions and here I am again. The only thing I can think of to change the texture is sandblasting and then you would loose most of the glaze as well. As far as adding shadowing to the satin-finish you can spray or airbrush the porcelaine on and bake it in a regular kitchen oven. Again I would experiment first.

Another place to ask for info. would be to contact someone that makes handmade tiles and ask them the question.

Bookmark   October 6, 2005 at 8:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
monicatx

Go to one of those ceramic "paint and glaze" places or a ceramics hobby shop. Show them a sample and ask if they would reglaze it and fire it again. Yes, what you want can be done if someone will refire the tile for you.

Bookmark   October 19, 2005 at 3:33AM
More Discussions
cat plates
Is there a market for these purchased cat plates from...
Love1cat4me
Ceramics/China Enthusiasts Forums, Clubs?
Hello, Does anyone know of any china enthusiast forums,...
davidnc
repairing crack in Terra Cotta pot
Hi, We have a large terra cotta pot that we (foolishly)...
shakushinnen
Slip casting smoker/ grill
Hello all Please forgive me I am a metal guy. Also...
Daveweldz
hand built coffee mug template
Does anyone have a template for a large coffee mug?...
margif
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™