My first PMC experience

ArtsyCraftsyJune 5, 2002

I took an 8 hr. class this weekend with Linda Kamholz where we learned to work with PMC+ clay, which kiln fires to pure silver. We also learned to construct a silver byzantine chain for the PMC charms to create a charm bracelet. The charms were stamped with rubber stamps, textured with tools & texture plates, and have appliques (stamped with punches) out of PMC paper. To get the antique look the charms were oxidized with liver of sulfur and then buffed with steel wool and a polishing cloth.

The class was so much fun that nobody wanted to stop working! The PMC is very easy to work with- much like ceramic clay. It dries out quickly so you must work fast, and it sticks to everything so you have to spritz all your tools and your hands with olive oil.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: my bracelet

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosie_ga

Wow......that is soooo good looking. You really did a professional job. I love the hands.

Bookmark   June 5, 2002 at 10:33PM
akaLia

Karen, it's gorgeous! What is PMC paper?

Bookmark   June 6, 2002 at 10:02AM
ArtsyCraftsy

Lia- PMC paper is da bomb, lol! It is like a thin rubbery sheet and it has a different binder so you can work with it in the open air without it drying out. I wish they would use the same binder in PMC clay- it would make it more like poly clay.
It is very easy to cut with a knife or scissors, it can be folded like origami and woven or wrapped around forms to create hollow beads. It adds a nice dimensional quality to the charms making it look like you cut and soldered another layer onto a cast piece. Really it just sticks fast with water. The star, heart & spiral shapes on the bracelet were done with tiny inexpensive craft punches.
I bought an extra ounce of clay and a sheet of paper to work with at home. We get free firing from our teacher for the next month so I plan on having much more fun!

Glad you guys like the bracelet! making the chain was the hardest part...now I know why another name for it is the "idiot chain"!

Here is a link that might be useful: PMC paper

Bookmark   June 6, 2002 at 11:50AM
akaLia

Okay, now... what is an "idiot" chain??? LOL!

Bookmark   June 10, 2002 at 9:11PM
ArtsyCraftsy

LOL- the real name for the chain pattern is "byzantine" but our teacher said it is sometimes called the idiot chain. Probably cause that's what you feel like for the first half hour, until you get the hang of making it!

Bookmark   June 13, 2002 at 3:53PM
More Discussions
Need help with baking clay
To make a long story short, I had to have one of my...
mangomoon
cat plates
Is there a market for these purchased cat plates from...
Love1cat4me
vintage nativity set
I'm looking for a nativity set that was popular in...
ybdull
Ceramic Wall
What is the best way to clean Ceramic Wall tiles?
chrispitt
What can I use to paint glazed ceramic?
I want to change the color or a glazed ceramic pot....
Belle724
Sponsored Products
Blue River Room-Darkening Rod Pocket Ascot Window Valance
$19.99 | Bellacor
Armen Living Troika Bonded Sofa - LC3093WHITE
Hayneedle
Modway Wing Lounge Chair in Purple
Beyond Stores
SteamSpa Saunas & Steam Units Indulgence 6kW Steam Bath Generator Package in
Home Depot
Area Rug: Comfort Shag Taupe 8' x 10'
Home Depot