Do I need a glaze?

Ruby_RedJune 4, 2002

Saw a cute project I thought I'd try. It's for making polymer clay pins. I plan on making some ornaments along the same line, just a bit larger in size. The instructions call for a polymer clay glaze as a final step for the pins. Do I need to glaze the ornaments as well? Or would a spray poly finish work as well. I have several that I use for my wood crafts, could I use any of these on clay? Thanks for your help.

By the way, the project was on the Michael's site, under projects - Americana Stars.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosie_ga

Can use Future floor wax as a glaze. Makes item really shine and is quite durable.

Bookmark   June 4, 2002 at 3:10PM
akaLia

I *think* you have to be careful about spray sealers. Something about the propellants breaking down the clay...

I haven't looked at the project; do they recommend a glaze to give the item a shine? I personally like a matte finish most of the time. But I finished a Sculpey project the other day and it chipped when I put a jump ring through... I was wondering if a sealer would help with that. I think Sculpey is just naturally brittle....

Sorry I'm not much help! Just be careful about the sprays; and show us your stars if you can!

Bookmark   June 4, 2002 at 8:22PM
ArtsyCraftsy

I'd go with the Future to be safe and it is inexpensive, too, in comparison to tiny bottles of craft store glaze. It bonds well with the clay and adds a nice shine. If you work with wood you might have some Flecto Varathane Diamond Finish which is also good. Things like spray varnishes or clear nail polish get a reaction with the clay and become sticky over time.
Sealer does not really help with breakage. Sculpey is the weakest & most brittle of the clays. Try gluing the chipped piece back on with Sobo glue, then rebaking to fuse the glue to the clay.

Bookmark   June 5, 2002 at 11:51AM
Ruby_Red

Thanks for the tips. Good to know that my wood spray sealers wouldn't work before I tried using them. Hate to just about finish a project and ruin it with the last step. Though I've done that a few times already. :o( I'll try to post pics if I can figure out how to and how to use my new camera. Haven't tried it yet. So much to learn and so little time. LOL
Thanks again.

Bookmark   June 5, 2002 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
Home made polymer clay
Hi, everyone. I'm new to this forum, I hang out on...
Rusty
Non-fire Translucent Glaze Stains
Many years ago ( over 30 ) I painted a Nativity Set...
sudhira
very old dried out glazes
I haven't fired anything in almost 15 years. I have...
cbgtennis
Any Polymer clay qustions????
Hi, I am a polymer clay artist. I see that there were...
elaineinnj
Bisque-ware and it's studiness.
I have an idea about using some unglazed jugs in my...
biinaboo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™