Can Sculpey be reheated and reformed?

gumbycatApril 7, 2004

Please don't laugh at my question. As you can tell, I'm not much of a crafter BUT....I wanted to make some finials for the end of a curtain rod. They are leaf shape and really look good...or at least they did. When I baked them, I guess I didn't provide enough support for the one because when it dried, it twisted. They can either both be twisted or both be straight but both need to be the same. Can I reheat the twisted one in some way an "tweek" it or do I need to start over with a new batch of Sculpey. I tried to do a search on Google for the answer and found everything you ever wanted to know about Sculpey except reforming once it has been baked and cooled. I posted this on the Crafts Forum before I realized that PC is frequently discussed on this forum. Your help will be sincerly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lia_SC

I *think* you can reform your finial. If you haven't already over-baked and you don't over-bake the next time. Just keep an eye on the clay piece and when it's soft and pliable again, put it in the position you want. I would turn off the heat at that point, but maybe a few more minutes of cooking time would be good. The main thing, as I said, is be careful not to overdo it. Sculpey tends to burn more quickly than some of the other poly clay formulations.
Oftentimes, when I take a piece out of the oven, I'll manipulate it a bit to get it where I want it, then dip in a bath of ice water or hold it under the tap if the water is plenty cold. Then it stays put. :-)
Remember, though, that Sculpey can also be more brittle and break more easily so be careful!
Hope that helps. Sorry, I don't get over to this forum much lately!
:-)

Bookmark   April 17, 2004 at 6:42PM
More Discussions
looking for- kimple molds~softees!
Since I spent a half an hour typing specifics and it...
otrasca
Bisque BArrel Firing
Is it possible to bisque fire in a barrel? I tried...
DouglasWaltz
hand built coffee mug template
Does anyone have a template for a large coffee mug?...
margif
spraying polymer clay
I love to make things for my fairy gardens from polymer...
barbaraparmelee
mosaic for shower floor
I came across this picture on houzz and I would love...
jrueter
Sponsored Products
Multicolored VI
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Flat Weave Blue/ Grey Wool/ Art Silk Area Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Angle Crown Molding
CliqStudios Cabinets
Florence Style Loft Wool Armchair in Chocolate Brown
$489.00 | LexMod
Montreal Burnt Sienna Vanity Fixture
$53.30 | Bellacor
Westinghouse Wall Mounted 1-Light Brushed Aluminum on Cast Aluminum Exterior
$31.42 | Home Depot
Cheers Multi-Point Pendant by Tech Lighting
$556.00 | Lumens
Juno 6" Line Voltage Albalite Lens Shower Recessed Trim