Guidelines On Hand Painted Tiles/mojalica

rebecca79April 1, 2007

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and I have to say that I fell in love with it the very first time I landed here :)

I am new in the Art world and my newly found love is tile painting/mojalica (popular art of Mexican/Spanish tile painting). But, I have no idea where to start. There is no school in Tucson (where I live :)which teaches this art.

Can anyone please tell me what should be my starting point. Is there any website which has step by step tile painting process? What kind of tile is good? What kind of paints do I need? What paints are good for kitchen backsplash and swimming pool? Any kind of help will be appreciated. I have full confidence that I have come to the right place.

Following is the link to website which has several examples of the kind of work I am interested in

http://www.arttile.com/

Thanks a lot.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pea_

Not paints but glazes. Glazes are fired in a kiln. Many places can teach you about glazing. A quick search of the internet brought me the name of Santa Theresa Tile Works which seems to offer a workshop in tile making they are located at Tucson, Arizona 439 N. 6th Ave. phone# to inquire about the workshop is 520-623-8640.

If you rather read a bit about tile making here is a few book titles 'Making & Installing Handmade Tiles' by Angelica Pozo, 'The Art of Handmade Tile: Complete Instructions for Carving, Casting & Glazing' by Kristin Peck, 'Handmade Tiles: Designing * Making * Decorating' by Frank Giorgini. I have the first book I listed it is good.

Here is a tutorial on painted glaze on already made tile, it is kind of brief but maybe it will tell you a hint or two.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile Tutorial

Bookmark   April 2, 2007 at 5:03AM
Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle

Ladies, you have perked an interest in me for mojalica. I have spent the whole day learning about mojalica.

Bookmark   September 6, 2007 at 2:37PM
Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle

Darn! Now I had to add this table top to my wishlist.

It doesn't have a price tag. My guess is around $3,500.

Maybe I can just paint this on a wooden tabletop. LOL~

Here is a link that might be useful: $Mojalica$

Bookmark   September 6, 2007 at 3:08PM
daesaflgatorfan

We lived in Sicily and Spain for quite a while. I had sooo many opportunities to buy such a table, and didn't!!! Now, I kick myself in the rear.

I don't know that I'd have the patience to paint one myself.

Bookmark   September 13, 2007 at 10:14AM
More Discussions
porcelain teaset
I am wondering if anyone can help me find any information...
vmarin315
spraying polymer clay
I love to make things for my fairy gardens from polymer...
barbaraparm
Received Kilm
I received a Kilm from my Aunt it is a small 110 electric...
jjaazzy
pots cracking way after firing
Hello everyone, I have some cracking/breaking issues...
Lorraine76
mosaic for shower floor
I came across this picture on houzz and I would love...
jrueter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™