impurities in clay

rutthMarch 4, 2007

I have some clay that once had green mold in it. Now it is very, very dry (has been dry for a couple of years). Is it ok to use or what will happen if I do use it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pea_

Its fine bust it up with a hammer put it in a bucket and just slake it down with water, the mold won't hurt it. Leave it in the bucket for a couple of day til it is mush. Get an old pillow case put the mushy clay in it tie it closed with a string. Either hang the case up to air dry or place the closed caseful of clay on dry concrete out of the direct sun and allow it to dry to a wedgable consistency(general take 2 or 3 days check it a few time a day to know it drying rate). Wedge it up and bag in a thick garbage bag.

Bookmark   March 26, 2007 at 4:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
breiaj

As pea said, it is fine to use....it won't hurt the clay at all...BUT, I find, depending on how you plan on glazing it, that you want to make sure you put it through a slow bisque firing first to make sure that all of the organic impurities come out of the clay...they can cause bubbles in your glaze if they are not completely burned out...and take the glaze firing slow too...so that any higher temp residual material can escape while the glaze is fluid. Safety first as well..wear a mask when you break it up..silica dust from the clay is bad enough..who knows what kind of mold that is!

Bookmark   March 26, 2007 at 2:44PM
More Discussions
pots cracking way after firing
Hello everyone, I have some cracking/breaking issues...
Lorraine76
Home made polymer clay
Hi, everyone. I'm new to this forum, I hang out on...
Rusty
Received Kilm
I received a Kilm from my Aunt it is a small 110 electric...
Jean Bo
hand built coffee mug template
Does anyone have a template for a large coffee mug?...
margif
Does anyone make memory beads with oven clay?
I am wanting to learn how to make memory beads by incorporating...
kessy56
Sponsored Products
St. Francis Birdfeeder - 5102
$46.86 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs City
Home Depot
Haeger Potteries White Ceramic Basket Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Pegasus Bathroom Diana Vessel Sink in White 4-463WH
Home Depot
Rust Mica 8-Inch Hood Dark Sky Wall Sconce with Spirit Bear Center Cutout Design
$88.20 | Bellacor
MUD Platters - MUD Australia
$31.00 | HORNE
Peacock Feathers Canvas Wall Art by Nikki Smith - NSM026HN
$139.99 | Hayneedle
Accent Rug: Maiduguri Red Clay 2' x 3' Flatweave
$46.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™