How do I know if PC has baked long enough?

Jajohnson2March 28, 2003

I'm new to this forum and to polymer clay and I have a question that I couldn't find answered anywhere. I just made my first project - beads - and baked them last night. Is there any easy way to know for sure if the clay is done/cured when I take it out of the oven?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lia_SC

I think if you bake it at the right temperature, you can't really bake it too long. You can bake the same piece multiple times. Say you want to add more clay to it, just rebake and you can't hurt it unless the temp is too high.
Seems to me the different clays require different times. I've heard you can underbake so the chemicals in the clay don't get a chance to fully bond, or whatever the technical term is... E.g. I think the Kato clay needs to cure longer.

So I guess the best thing is to use that oven thermometer and bake for at least the manufacturers recommended time.
I don't of any way to "test" and see if it's fully cured. Although I'll bet glassattic.com has something about that!!

Bookmark   March 28, 2003 at 9:36PM
rosie_ga

I believe Lia is right.........it's not so much over cooked in time but in temp. There is some kind of guideline........like so many minutes for every 1/4 inch of thickness but I'm not sure. I always cook for at least 20 minutes and if thicker about double that. But the high temp will scorch it.

Bookmark   March 29, 2003 at 10:34PM
Jajohnson2

I have been monitoring the temperature closely, so I won't worry about cooking them a little longer. Thank you both!

Bookmark   March 31, 2003 at 6:22PM
MryRose

Another thing to mention is that you shouldn't use the oven you use for food unless you cover the tray tightly so the vapors don't get out.

I bought a small convection oven on Ebay just for the clay.
I am just getting used to the temps... lolo... burnt the first 2 items, but the 3rd came out ok.

Paint Drop Hugs! MryRose

Bookmark   April 2, 2003 at 12:41AM
Jajohnson2

Good point MryRose - I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I should pick up a used toaster oven....Meanwhile, I'll cover my clay pans.

Bookmark   April 2, 2003 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
Ceramic Wall
What is the best way to clean Ceramic Wall tiles?
chrispitt
pots cracking way after firing
Hello everyone, I have some cracking/breaking issues...
Lorraine76
Any Polymer clay qustions????
Hi, I am a polymer clay artist. I see that there were...
elaineinnj
Hobby glaze - water resistant
Hi there I'm looking for a hobby glaze and hoping someone...
juliestuart
looking for- kimple molds~softees!
Since I spent a half an hour typing specifics and it...
otrasca
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™