Best 48 inch counter depth fridge?

mdhddMarch 6, 2013

We are remodeling our kitchen. I have been comparing refrigerators, 48 inch counter depth, stainless steel models. Does anyone have any input. We are staying away from subzero. We have known too many people who have had problems with them. Any Thoughts

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deeageaux

A lot of people may not post in your thread because technically there are no 48" counter depth refrigerators but built-in 48 refrigerators.

Sub-Zero by far has the most market share in this class and it stands to reason you hear most of the problems in this class from owners would be Sub Zero.

But if you exclude Sub-Zero I would look at Gaggenau, Miele and Thermador towers. The towers come in various widths from 36", 24" and 18". You can install them together or apart.

I would absolutely stay away from Viking. Not only do they have a horrible track record but they just got bought out and are going through corporate downsizing/reshuffling. So I would not buy a major appliance form Viking until the dust settles.

There are a few posters here that have had horrible luck with both GE Brands, Profile and Monogram, and they may pop in and tell you to stay away from them too.

BTW I own a 24" Gaggenau freezer and in a different area of the kitchen a 24" Liebherr refrigerator.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 2:59PM
swimman

I know what people will say about Kitchenaid but I had a 48" built in model in my home for 8.5 years before we sold the house. Only issue was the ice maker (which I'm told is an issue on many brands) that went bad and it was replaced (the ice maker module). After that, no issues and it worked and looked great for those years.

We are currently building a home now and due to size limitations, we have opted to not install a 48" but will most likely go with a Samsung 36" that holds 30 cu ft of stuff (same as the KA 48". Otherwise, I would probably be buying the KA KSSC48QVS.

This post was edited by swimman on Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 15:07

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 3:01PM
wardman

I am looking at a JennAir 48 inch built in. It is similar to the KA - apprx $8800

I wish there was a 48inch built in option with a more stream line ice and water dispenser. The SZ is slick, but still, so much room taken up for an ice maker in all these fridges. If I need bulk ice for a party, I will buy a bag of it :-)

The GE Monogram seems to fit the bill as well, and also seems to have fixed previous model problems.

This post was edited by wardman on Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 17:09

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 3:39PM
smiling

I've been studying these, too, and also found a 48" option in the Liebherr SBS 2413 (or SBS 243 in Stainless). It is two 24" columns installed together.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 6:53PM
kitchenkat

Be sure to check the various 24" Liebherr units that are designed to be joined together into one opening. They are extremely quiet and among the most energy efficient, with great features (Super cool, Super frost, Bio-Fresh, etc). They are available in stainless steel and as fully integrated units, so you can use your own matching cabinetry to finish the fronts.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
How would you spend my $10k budget?
In the planning stage of a complete kitchen reno and...
enzaenza
Bluestar electric French door installed
It's installed. Electrical not hooked up yet (see the...
Debbi Branka
Anyone have a Wolf gas cooktop? Or another cooktop you really like?
I've found a lot on Wolf range's but not any reviews...
happyallison
Fhiaba column refrigerator freezer anyone?
Has anyone seen these in person or have in their kitchen?...
Dietitian
Bluestar platinum vs Capital Culinarian
We are deciding on kitchen appliances for our upgrade...
malba2366
Sponsored Products
Portfolio Orion Sunset Red Linen Upholstered 23-inch Bar Stool
Overstock.com
Progress Lighting CounterBrite White 1-Light Under cabinet Fixture P7533-30WB
$48.60 | Home Depot
Afro Stool by Domitalia
$537.12 | Lumens
AHB Maxwell Swivel Tall Bar Stool - Black with Mushroom Bonded Leather - 134902B
$349.95 | Hayneedle
Avanity Modero 48" Bathroom Vanity - Espresso
Modern Bathroom
Zaida Stool in White
| Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™