Help with noisy Miele Diamond?
We purchased a Miele Diamond dishwasher about 2 months ago and are looking for some sage advice. Our two goals were (a) excellent cleaning and (b) very, very quiet. We've been impressed by the cleaning results and love the racks. However, I've been disappointed with the noise level, which is why I am posting here. I don't have a sound meter, but when the dishwasher is running, you can hear the water splashing around in every room on the first floor, including the bathroom with the door is closed. When I'm sitting on the coach in the living room to which the kitchen opens, I find the noise distracting. Here are all the facts that I can think to share:
* It is the Diamond G5915SCi with the stainless steel panel provided by Miele.
* We had a Miele-certified plumber install it in the 24" space that was previously occupied by a 12-year old Kitchenaid. It is installed in an island, between two cabinets.
* We had a Miele technician verify that the unit was installed properly and working as intended. He wouldn't comment on the sound level but said that the "tones" were typical. He added that I was not the first person to complain about the sound level, and that he has seen people put cloth or spray insulation around their dishwashers before. He discouraged me from using spray foam but encouraged me to experiment with cloth or solid foam insulation.
* I listened to the Diamond in the Miele showroom in Wellesley. You can definitely hear it running (at least when it is empty), but it still seemed a lot quieter than our unit. The only obvious difference is that the front of the model in the showroom is covered by a wooden door panel, whereas we have the controls on the top and then the stainless steel panel provided by Miele immediately below.
* I spoke to a kitchen designer yesterday who installs a lot of Miele dishwashers in clients kitchens and has one at home. She told me that she has never had anyone complain about the sound level of a Miele before and that she has never had anyone install additional insulation around the dishwasher. She encouraged me to get someone else out to take a look at the installation.
* We had a Bosch 800 in our previous home, which I remember as being much quieter than the Diamond because I would occasionally open it while it was running. The back of that unit faced an external wall. I also remember the unit being covered in a thick blanket when it was installed. The Miele had no such covering.
* We still have about three weeks to decide it we want Miele to take the unit back and buy whatever Bosch's quietest unit is. I'd like to make the Miele work and so would my wife.
* I recently noticed that there is an opening on the bottom of the Miele stainless steel panel, where there is at least 7 inches of empty space. Is there supposed to be insulation underneath the Miele-provided panel? A lot of the sound that I hear seems to be coming through the door.
Any advice is much appreciated.