Firing a second glaze on commercial tiles?

angie_diyFebruary 5, 2013

Hi, I usually post in the kitchen forum, but hope you can help a beginner. I am wondering (details below) if you can apply and fire a second glaze to alter the appearance of commercial tiles.

Here is the background. I want to create tiles for my kitchen backsplash that are machine made (thus have nice straight edges), but that are hand-painted (and thus have color variations). I believe this is the way tiles were typically available in the early 20th century.

I am thinking about buying bisque 4.25"x4.25" tiles, and glazing and firing them myself. However, bisque tiles are not cheap! I have found them for about $10/sq. ft. This is comparable in cost to very nice finished tiles.

Cheap commercial 4.25"x4.25" tiles are available for a fraction of this; I have seen them for as little as $0.45/sq. ft., or 20 times cheaper than bisque!

Do you think you can apply a secondary glaze to commercial tiles and refire?

Thanks! Angie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
newskilz

Angie - great idea to think out of the box or should I say kiln..... If you are using fired glazed tiles you may have an issue with getting a smooth coat of glaze just to stick to the finished tile itself. You could spray the glaze on if you have a sprayer. If you have a kiln I would buy a few tiles and do tests if you can. If you are a ceramicist you know that testing is critical for every part we do. good luck - I would love to know how it comes out.

I myself went the hand made route and cut all those tiles laid them out bisqued then glazed them all! I think I like yr idea better!

Leslie

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 7:47PM
More Discussions
Home made polymer clay
Hi, everyone. I'm new to this forum, I hang out on...
Rusty
Slip casting smoker/ grill
Hello all Please forgive me I am a metal guy. Also...
Daveweldz
pots cracking way after firing
Hello everyone, I have some cracking/breaking issues...
Lorraine76
Does anyone make memory beads with oven clay?
I am wanting to learn how to make memory beads by incorporating...
kessy56
cat plates
Is there a market for these purchased cat plates from...
Love1cat4me
Sponsored Products
Babette Pink Glass Cylinder Accent Lamp
$29.99 | Lamps Plus
Log Cabin Mailbox
Fifthroom.com
Acacia Oval Outdoor Coffee Table - Black, 42" x 24" Oval, Patio Furniture
$995.00 | FRONTGATE
Fire Pit 32" Emperador Mosaic Marble coffee Table - PROVENCE
Living'ROC
Designer Drains Designer Drains - Bubbles with Oatey Drain Rough
Hudson Reed