XO Vent Hood with Baffles?

NYMKMarch 7, 2013

I would like a stainless steel, chimney style vent hood that is 30 inches to go over GE Cafe Oven with Baking Drawer. A local appliance store recoed the X0 Vent Hood. I'm drawn to it because it has 600 CFMs and has a baffles option. Anyone have any experience with the XO Vent Hood? I saw some posts back from 2011 but nothing recent. What about using the baffles (instead of the aluminum filters)? Do the baffles work better? The price is also right. I want something around $1K or under.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaseki

Assuming competent design, baffles in any state of cleanliness work better than dirty mesh filters. They look better too, in my opinion.

However, the baffles have to be designed correctly to throw the grease particles out of the air stream. They should rest at an angle so that the grease can drain to somewhere. (Real professional, i.e., commercial, hoods have baffles set steeper than 45 degrees by code. I notice that XO is showing horizontal baffles. In the image I saw they looked more like slots, not baffles, so you may get what you pay for.)

I recommend visiting a high end appliance store and look at the way baffled hoods are supposed to be constructed. Then if the XO hood approximates that construction you may be ok with them. If not, then they are potentially worse then mesh filters and the mesh design, if kept clean, would be more effective at filtering.

Also, listen to the hood if it is hooked up to determine whether the sound level is tolerable.

kas

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 11:42AM
More Discussions
gas oven ignitor help
I recently picked up a great amana self clean gas oven,...
billhiggs
Double Gaggeneau Oven vs. Single with Microwave/Convection
We are in the middle of remodeling our kitchen. I...
C C
Whirlpool Chillerator Repair Question
I posted on this issue in Electrical Wiring, but I...
amyf5
Questions about noisy back draft damper on vent hood roof cap
One female here who is definitely not a diy type person....
texasgal47
Anybody seen/used the new Bosch Benchmark appliances?
I think they are shipping these now. I have largely...
Juno_barks
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™