Unfired painted ceramics

dances_in_gardenFebruary 18, 2002

A friend gave me a gift a few years ago. I had admired some small greenware figures. Well, she painted them (with acrylic paints I think) and gave them to me as a gift. I was very pleased and flattered, but truthfully I don't like the look of the acrylic paint. The colours are wonderful, but I like the "glazed" look when pieces are fired. I have seen some "glazes" that go over the paint and dry, but I want the shinier, glassier look.

Is there a way to glaze over acrylic and then have them fired? Or will it ruin them? I know where to bring them for the firing, but am loathe to ask their advice because I think they would tell me to fire them anyway -once you pay the fee there is no guarantee.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SherryNoID

Hi Dances!

In some cases you can have the acrylic fired off of the piece and then use a glaze that will be fired again to create the shiny look you want. For the life of me I can't remember the products name. I just got off the road from a long car trip and I am bushed. I will look in my box of goodies and let you know tomorrow.
If there is a ceramic shop nearby you can take your pieces in and have them evaluate it for you.
More later
Sherry

Bookmark   February 18, 2002 at 10:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ArtsyCraftsy

Dances- how about a varnish- either spray or in a can? If you use a can, apply light coats with a good brush so it looks nice & smooth.
Another idea is the 2 step crackle medium kits. You paint one coat, then go over it with a second layer of something else and it makes very fine even cracks just like old porcelain. You rub a dark paint into the cracks and they show up very nicely. It might look cool, depending on what your figures are.

Karen

Bookmark   February 20, 2002 at 9:17PM
More Discussions
What can I use to paint glazed ceramic?
I want to change the color or a glazed ceramic pot....
Belle724
Non-fire Translucent Glaze Stains
Many years ago ( over 30 ) I painted a Nativity Set...
sudhira
mosaic for shower floor
I came across this picture on houzz and I would love...
jrueter
Ceramics/China Enthusiasts Forums, Clubs?
Hello, Does anyone know of any china enthusiast forums,...
davidnc
hand built coffee mug template
Does anyone have a template for a large coffee mug?...
margif
Sponsored Products
Broche 4-light English Bronze Pendant
Overstock.com
Remer by Nameeks TE20US Single Hole Bathroom Faucet - REMER TE20US
$149.03 | Hayneedle
Artek | JL341 Pendant Light
$695.00 | YLighting
Progress Lighting Roman Coach Collection Wall Mount Outdoor Black Lantern P5766-
$87.30 | Home Depot
Chains Cool Grey Wallpaper R1337, double roll
Walls Republic
Kenroy Home Remy Smoked Bronze Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Mary Kate & Ashley Continuum White Ceramic Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Yellow Labrador Retriever Ornament
$44.50 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™