Installing Tile without Grout - Is this wise to do?

brenda_mdMarch 21, 2011

I am planning on redoing our bathroom and want to have tile installed in the shower area. My sister-in-law redid her bath and had limestone installed in the shower area, but without grout. The tiles are just butted up to each other. She lives in Florida and said it is done a lot down there. Is this a wise thing to do and how do you keep the water from getting onto the wallboard behind the tiles. Granted, I love the thought of not having to deal with keeping grout lines cleaned, but would be concerned about wall damage and possibly mold build up between the tiles.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terriks

No, it's a bad idea, but not for the reasons you think. Tile and grout do not provide the waterproofing in a shower. Water can and does get behind tile and grout, regardless of the size of the grout line. The waterproofing is done behind the tile.

Back to why it's a bad idea. When you butt tiles together, there is still a very small gap. If you don't fill it grout, something else will find its way in there, and that something else will be soap scum, dead skin cells, dirt, etc., which increases the odds of growing mold, etc. on that organic matter. I'd much rather have grout between my tiles than a bunch of gross junk.

Another reason not to do it is that many tiles are not exactly the same size, and they will not line up properly.

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 2:49PM
bill_vincent

Exactly right. No matter WHERE it's being installed in the home, it's a bad idea.

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 8:39AM
pricklypearcactus

I've seen pictures of floors (not shower floors, just floors) where it looks like stone tile is butted up against each other, is that just really small grout joints? Just curious.

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 10:02AM
lazy_gardens

It's just really tiny grout joints. There are special grouts for "invisible" joints.

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 11:31AM
brenda_md

Thanks Terriks and Bill, I had a feeling it was not good to do. It makes me wonder how such practices get started.

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 3:29PM
bill_vincent

PPC-- You may HAVE seen an ungrouted floor. Just in the kitchens forum alone there have been many who've ignored my advice and gone forward with groutless installations. Doesn't mean it's right, or even a good idea.

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 8:51PM
antss

". It makes me wonder how such practices get started."

.............ya know , I was reading on the internet last nite

-OR-

did you see that Home Makeover, they put in the floor tile without grout and they said it was super terrific.

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 11:09PM
pricklypearcactus

Thanks for clarifying. I suppose as many times as I've seen/heard people installing tile in a shower over drywall with no waterproofing of any kind, I shouldn't be surprised to see something else done incorrectly.

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 10:02AM
Billl

"No matter WHERE it's being installed in the home, it's a bad idea"

There are some tiles that are designed not to have grout. All of the new "stacked stone" type tiles would look absurd with grout lines. Of course, I wouldn't want those anywhere near a shower.

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 10:58AM
More Discussions
Anyone have knobs for shower door?
Do you like them? I have a narrow shower so I am considering...
risforremodel
Does this look like fake or real marble to you ?
Would a whole floor of this material look like real...
lillo
Tere-stone anyone?
Does anyone have any experience with Tere-stone as...
coffeehaus
tile layout help master bath
I am planning to use 18 x18 on the floor and same tile...
abick2
Cultured Marble vs onyx collection vs solid surface shower pan
1st off, I am a long time lurker in these forums and...
dmsohio
Sponsored Products
Black Nested Wallpaper M8842
Walls Republic
Yellow Mosaic Gazing Globe
$49.99 | zulily
Sample-Brushed Stone Travertine 2x8 Marble Tile, 1 Piece Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Drop Ceiling Tiles: Fasade Building Materials Rosette - 2 ft. x 2 ft. Lay-in
$4.78 | Home Depot
Ivan the Great Alabaster Chess Set - CB125
$414.99 | Hayneedle