Ceramic question.....

Deb_from_PaFebruary 13, 2002

I saw the cutest thing in a shop this year, and wanted to share with you all. It was a snowman, made from resin I think, cuz it was much lighter than ceramic, and was about 12" or taller. The snowman was all bundled up in hat and scarf and had a beautiful scenery on its belly. Does anyone know if you can buy them in ceramic too?! i just fell in love witht hem, they were so cute!

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
akaLia

I wish I knew more about ceramics...
Is this something you could maybe make yourself? (You know how crafters always consider that possibility! LOL!)

Bookmark   February 13, 2002 at 11:10PM
ArtsyCraftsy

Probably not the exact same thing. The figurines are licensed designs and if they are being manufactured in resin it is really unlikely that they are being produced un a ceramic mold.
Most ceramic molds are non-licensed designs because you can buy them, glaze them and then sell your final piece. That would put you in competition of the holder of the license.
I would look in a ceramic shop for a similar snowman figure that you could paint in your own style with the other design as inspiration. Or buy that little guy, lol!
The thing with resin is how light it is and how detailed you can get with the molds. Far more so than ceramic. The final product is pretty resistant to breaking, too. I think they are now selling plain resin figures in the craft stores for people to paint as they wish.

Karen

Bookmark   February 14, 2002 at 9:13AM
lamb43

Hi Deb! Your post here inspired me for the snowman lightbulb tutorial that I'm working on. (ok ok, it's done, just needs some editing..) Anyway, I thought you might be interested in my version of a 'snowman' with scenery. You can see the result here...

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   February 17, 2002 at 11:47PM
More Discussions
Hobby glaze - water resistant
Hi there I'm looking for a hobby glaze and hoping someone...
juliestuart
very old dried out glazes
I haven't fired anything in almost 15 years. I have...
cbgtennis
Received Kilm
I received a Kilm from my Aunt it is a small 110 electric...
jjaazzy
spraying polymer clay
I love to make things for my fairy gardens from polymer...
barbaraparm
Old Kiln: Need manual or help
I found this kiln at an estate sale for $25.oo and...
Nashonii
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™