layout design questions for a small bathroom

Mary614March 25, 2013

We need to redo our bathroom, this is the only bathroom in the house at this point. There is something leaking in the wall and the floor under the wall, vanity and toilet is rotten. The layout I am not real fond of for several reasons, the main is it is very difficult to clean and the second is we have little ones and giving them a bath is difficult due to the layout.

This was an addition onto the main house at one point in time and has 3 load bearing walls, so can't really move things to make it bigger. I have attached the current layout, if anyone has ideas as to how to change it I would love to hear them.

Thank you,
Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terriks

Mary, use the HTML code from Photobucket.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 4:03PM
pricklypearcactus

I have a somewhat similarly sized main/guest bathroom in my house. First, I would swap the sink and toilet locations if that's an option. A toilet is a little easier to get around to turn on the water for a bath tub.

Do you need a linen closet? If not, I would be inclined to completely remove it and go with a longer tub. I went from a 5' to a 5.5' tub with a small shelf on the end (where your linen closet is). At only 7.5" long, I don't think you could fit a linen closet along the longest wall.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 4:20PM
Mary614

Thank you for posting the drawing! I was sidetracked by little people and just didn't take the time to figure it out. I will do another drawing of one of the layouts we are kicking around, basically instead of a wall on three sides of the tub we were thinking of leaving the back open...just a curtain track around.

Thank you,
Mary

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 2:09PM
weedyacres

We're renovating a bathroom with the same layout, but just 5' wide instead of 6'2". We're swapping the vanity and toilet, but leaving the tub against the far wall.

You could swap the linen storage to the other wall, and have it be shallow storage (since plumbing would be in the way of full depth).

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 7:16PM
More Discussions
design help- white quartz countertops on vanity?
we are building a home & I am struggling with design...
misschris15
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
What is really new in bathroom renovating?
Although I'm more a retro/classic kind of person, I'm...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
Do I really need a steam shower?
We are in the process of finalizing plans for redoing...
attygirl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™