Bathroom Remodel - Grouting Question

MrDanimalMarch 11, 2013

I have replaced my old surround tub with a new one...

It didn't seem right to have just drywall above the tub, so I added some 12" ceramic tiles above the 6 foot tall surround alcove tub (60 inch) as a further moisture barrier. So now I'm ready to grout around the tub and was wondering if there are any tricks to grouting vertically ... grouting the floor was easy enough... but doing the walls with 3/16 " gaps might prove tricky...

Also wondering if anyone has had any experience with grout caulk. I am looking at ordering some online to match the grout color for the joint between the tile and tub and it seems too good to be true... is the grout caulk something that you can get at the hardware store?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

Grouting vertically (walls) is quite easy. I actually find walls easier than floors. It's grouting ceilings that can sometimes be a pain.

As to caulking the joints, or using a faux-grout (the premixed grouts), sure, if you really wanted to go that route that'd really be no problem for up high above a tub surround.

It's not going to see foot traffic, and it's really not going to see anything harsh.

Fortunately I've never used the faux-grouts. I've seen them at the box stores, that's it.

I have used color-matching caulks. I know I've seen them at the box stores too, but I'm not sure of the variety of their in-stock selection.

For your small amount, probably caulk right out of the tube would be easiest.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 2:01PM
More Discussions
Has anyone seen an interior door handle like this in the States?
Sorry for the link but I couldn't find an image to...
ceezeecz
Thinking about the new Bain Geysair Oval Plus. Opinions/Exp?
Hi, I think this really is the time we are actually...
raehelen
Experience with Enduroshield
Anybody have specific experience or feedback on the...
gardnr
Family of 5 - only 1 1/2 bathrooms. What would you do?
We are an active family of 5 and our bathroom situtation...
rebeccamomof123
Small bathroom from scratch - layout help needed
http://www.homestyler.com/designprofile/b86dc96a-7c58-42f3-8ba3-408b7c9610f2...
peace_rose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™