Gin Transfer

rosie_gaJanuary 19, 2003

check this out......have read lately about Omni Gel. Anyone ever use it? Supposed to be a transfer medium that transfers from a regular ink-jet printer.

www.bearingbeads.com/ inspiration2.htm

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roanimare

Hi -- Hmm very interesting. I'm going to go read some more and check out the whole site. Thanks for posting. I have not heard or used this product. I do transfers on clay using Tshirt paper. - Michele

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

Bookmark   January 20, 2003 at 3:52PM
roanimare

HI -- Okay, are they talking GIN like in liquor? This site is great! I've been reading and reading. -- Michele

Bookmark   January 20, 2003 at 5:17PM
Lia_SC

Wow! Have they added some things, or did I just miss it all before? I was reading about the gin idea when Rosie posted the Teesha Moore link in Paper Arts. It IS the liquor kind of gin; why, I don't know... I still haven't got around to reading it all. I scanned over some of the projects. But did you see all the gallery pics??? They're so fresh and kewl! I loved what she did with microscope slides on legs! And the "world tour bracelets"....
I'm still foggy on the Omni Gel; I was hoping gin was the only thing I needed that I don't have! LOL!

Bookmark   January 20, 2003 at 11:48PM
roanimare

LOL - same here Lia - Every other kind of stale liquor but GIN! -- I think you can use the Gin technique alone and don't need the omni gel. That's another technique - I think?! The gallery inspired me to fix a bracelet I made that I didn't like. Now I've got this great two toned metal look bracelet. -Michele

Bookmark   January 21, 2003 at 10:17AM
Lia_SC

ROTFL! Who'd have thought I needed liquor in my craft supplies??? ...Although we do have some "takillya"... DH's friend brought it when he went to Mexico years ago. Some gift, huh? Wonder if that would work? Looked up gin --it's made from juniper berries. Do you think that's the secret ingredient? You know crafters --we're likely to go out and pick the berries and make our own gin, doggone it! LOL!
OK, so, I guess I should go read how the Omni Gel is different and why I "need" it... We should ask this on the PCP group, eh?

BTW, let's see the bracelet! Sounds cool and I wanna know how the gallery inspired you?

Bookmark   January 21, 2003 at 1:16PM
roanimare

Hi - I'm wondering if Vodka or Tequilla would work - got both. Vodka 's made from potatoes and Tequilla from the agave plant (i think) -- LOL -- I'm going to look for Gin in those tiny little bottles they sell in Walgreens in the liquor dept. (like the airline ones) I think they are about $1.29 or so.

Yes, ask the Omni Gel question on PCP - they know alot over there.

I'll take a photo of the bracelet and post it in the gallery! The gallery on the GIN site inspired me to add some clay to this very plain bracelet I made. I also embossed it so it looked more like metal - then painted it (it was plain white clay) -- and burnished with those rub-n-buff type rubs. -- Michele

Bookmark   January 21, 2003 at 5:21PM
roanimare

Hi Lia - I posted the bracelet in the Gallery. -- Michele

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   January 21, 2003 at 5:50PM
Lia_SC

I love that Michele; very classy! Wish we could have seen the "before"! ;-) How did you make the shell-like design? Very clever clasp, too!

Bookmark   January 22, 2003 at 2:34PM
rosie_ga

very nice bracelet and I haven't been drinking any gin.......

Bookmark   January 23, 2003 at 12:06AM
minnie_tx

Come to think of it I haven't seen any liquor stores in my town. I wonder if my county is "DRY"

Bookmark   January 23, 2003 at 10:21AM
roanimare

Hi -- Thanks! Lia and Rosie -- The "before" was a plain white round bracelet. I was trying a technique for my classes where you put a wire in the clay and roll -- then form the bracelet. Then just create your clasp after its baked making sure you leave enough to do it. What I did was add clay to the cured bracelet and rebaked it. It was an experiment. :0)

Minnie -- you just might be!! -- Michele

Bookmark   January 23, 2003 at 5:53PM
ArtsyCraftsy

pretty bracelet, Michele!
I can see it now: gin repackaged and labeled as "crafter's transfer medium"! I don't see why rubbing alcohol would not work the same way.

Karen

Bookmark   January 23, 2003 at 7:01PM
roanimare

Hi -- Thanks Karen -- I didn't use the GIN technique on the bracelet, the site just inspired me to rework a bracelet I didn't like into a metal looking one.

I would think any alcohol would work and yes, rubbing alcohol too -- I have some and may give it a try. -- Michele

PS -- how's the buttons comeing Lia and Karen??

Bookmark   January 24, 2003 at 11:57AM
ArtsyCraftsy

I read on another group that vodka (and even skin astringent like sea breeze) works too..so it must be the alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is .50 at the dollar store so that would be my choice.

buttons I will probably do on Sunday. I'm a procrastinator, lol!

Bookmark   January 24, 2003 at 2:43PM
roanimare

Hi Karen -- I think rubbing alcohol would work too. Isn't that Dollar store the greatest! I get brand name cosmetics (face cream, moisturizer, etc.) for $1.00 when it usually costs me $9.00 in Walmart or Target. Can't beat that. -- Michele

Bookmark   January 25, 2003 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
Firing a second glaze on commercial tiles?
Hi, I usually post in the kitchen forum, but hope you...
Angie_DIY
cat plates
Is there a market for these purchased cat plates from...
Love1cat4me
Non-fire Translucent Glaze Stains
Many years ago ( over 30 ) I painted a Nativity Set...
sudhira
vintage nativity set
I'm looking for a nativity set that was popular in...
ybdull
Slip casting smoker/ grill
Hello all Please forgive me I am a metal guy. Also...
Daveweldz
Sponsored Products
Flower Market Luncheon Plate
$35.00 | Horchow
Water Resistant Retro Radio - Yellow
| Dot & Bo
Archiver USB Entertainment Center
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Wireless X Rocker Pro Series Video Rocker with Vibration - 5131901
$164.98 | Hayneedle
Select Luxury Medium Firm 9-inch Twin-size Memory Foam Mattress
Overstock.com