Miele coffee system and well water

nerdMarch 23, 2012

We are considering installing a Miele plumber in coffee maker. Our water system is well water, however, we have a reverse osmosis filtration system for drinking water. Has anyone had any issues with using this type of water in their machine?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedmeister

I would think RO would be fine if you can generate enough to fill the tank.

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 4:11PM
mojavean

Much of the municipal water supply in the US is well water. You should have no problem with your unit provided you find the osmotic system puts out a palatable glass of drinking water. If you intend to tap off the RO system, then use that water for your initial hardness test. (The machine is sent with a water test strip. You follow the instructions to get a numerical value of the hardness of the water and enter that into the coffee system's NVRAM as instructed)

The hardness test tells the machine how often to call for a descaling procedure.

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 5:43PM
fourkids4us

My neighbors have the Miele built-in coffee system. We are on well water and have RO. She loves it! She did have techs out once for a repair issue, but I've never heard her complain and they've had it for at least 5 years.

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 7:30PM
tigerdog

In June 2013, was cautioned by Miele tech support *not* to use an RO system in conjunction with our Miele built-in system. According to Miele, RO removes minerals to the point that the machine cannot correctly detect that there's water in the system. It apparently relies on electrical conductivity due to minerals in the water.

I believe (but cannot conclusively state) that a remineralization filter after the RO membrane *should* do the trick. This raises the "beneficial" mineral content and tips the PH balance slightly towards the alkaline, so the machine should work.

FWIW, I'm on city water that's very hard (420+ppm) and currently use an ultrafiltration system. It does not reduce hardness, though, so I'm considering a move to RO+remineralization to extend the life of my Miele.

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 12:17PM
xedos

+1 on the RO system not being able to activate the sensors on a miele coffee machine.

It will depend on YOUR exact system though so you,ll jus have to try it.

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 10:28PM
More Discussions
24' Appliances: Liebherr or Fagor?? Bertazzoni or other?
Can anyone weigh in on small space appliances? While...
petersen
New Bluestar RCS model - Any Info? (RCS366BV2)
Most of the 36" RCS models are RCS36IRV1 right...
kwest2
Blue star electric wall oven w/ French doors
I ordered my wall oven and 30" RNB range 8 weeks...
Debbi Branka
Any thoughts about Bosch and GE Profile appliances?
I am building a passive house and trying to choose...
di77ce
Bread baking in the Blue Star Range
We are in the process of building a new home and though...
mullde
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™