jumper cables

peachesncreamDecember 12, 2006

I am from the KT. I have a ????.

What is the biggest gauge of jumper cable I can buy? Is it a 2, or 4. So far the biggest I have been able to find is an 8. I know they make bigger. Also, where is the best place to get these? Thank you! I hope I haven't confused you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gary__

Go to a NAPA parts store. The one near where I work has a very good selection from cheep to very good, and priced accordingly. The NAPA near my house on the other hand does not have a good selection. Don't know off hand what the wire guage choices are. If the NAPA store near you doesn't carry all of them, I'm sure they can order whatever you want and get it there within a day or two. As with a lot of things, you'll get what you pay for. jmo

Bookmark   December 12, 2006 at 10:06PM
semper_fi

An 8 gauge cable ain't worth the wrapper that it comes in, imho, because it simply cannot handle the necessary amperage.

I have some extra long heavy duty ones I purchased from NAPA many moons ago and they have held up GREAT. Buy the good stuff... cry only once! :-)

Bookmark   December 12, 2006 at 10:56PM
john_g

The suggestion to go to a NAPA store is a good one. I have two sets of NAPA jumper cables, one I keep at the shop, and one I keep in my Explorer.

Normally 10ft-12ft cables are going to do just fine, and really a 4 gauge will do the job. Even then for GOOD cables, expect to spend $60 or more. But if you really want 2 gauge. Try the link I have here for a reference. Pay attention to the battery clamps as much as the gauge of the cable. 2 gauge cable, with 300amp clamps on the ends is a waste of $$$$

BTW, depending on how often you need to do a jump start, those rechargeable battery packs are good for about one year. But to a shop/towing company, that can be a reasonable expense because there is always a risk of damage to both vehicles, if the cables are accidently connected incorrectly. It's a simple mistake that anyone can make, given enough chances.

Here is a link that might be useful: Serious, professional quality jumper cables

Bookmark   December 13, 2006 at 12:09AM
fix_it

I have a set of jumper cables that I made from 2 gauge welder cable and the apropriate clamps. They are between 25 and 30 feet long. I can start a 350 v8 with a completely dead battery without any wait. This was compared to my old set of 10 gauge by 12 feet cables that sometimes wouldn't even start a 4 cylinder car. Bigger is always better when it comes to these so get the best you can find and/or afford.

Bookmark   December 14, 2006 at 9:16PM
More Discussions
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
2004 Madza Tribute Catalytic converters
My daughters 2004 Tribute would not accelerate and...
good36
Blown tire on a dying car........
Well, in my other post I talked about how my transmission...
catherinet
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
Running rich?
01 Taurus, Vulcan motor.owned for 4 months. Ran ok...
stoveguyy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™