what is the problem

sunshinesDecember 6, 2010

My car was traveling 45 miles on its own and I didn't have my foot on the gas pedal, my brakes were all the way to the floor and car wouldn't stop. Finally pulled off the highway and threw the car in park.

Honda 2003 ..going to have someone drive it to the garage but wanted a opinion first. Please help

What could be the problem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

Very definitely a problem. I believe there has been a few other reports of this same problem on late model Hondas.

I would not have it driven in, but have it towed/hauled in to the garage. Something is stuck, or a glitch occurred in the electronincs.

At 45 mph, I'm surprised there was not enough braking effort available to bring the vehicle to a stop (assuming its an automatic). There is something fishy here. If the throttle was stuck open, a driver should be able to overpower it with extra effort. If the engine was shut down while under way and vacuum boost lost (by pumping), the brakes should still work, but would require much more effort.

If the brake pedal went all the way to the floor without supplying enough braking, there is something wrong with brakes. If the ABS system kicks in, a brake pedal can sink part way down and may give the impression that it "went to the floor" when in fact, it only sank part way. The first time this happens to an unsuspecting driver, it gives one a "sinking" feeling.

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 4:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kalining

as jemdandy says don't even think of driving it anywhere.Have it towed. And where you are taking it it had better be your dealership not the goof off down the street that you think you can afford because the dealer is a rip off. the dealer can pull the scan and real live data on what actualy happened at the exact time. they can even tell you when you changed your radio station,what station you changed to and at what time.

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 6:46PM
More Discussions
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
Car suddenly accelerats
This morning my wife was driving our 2013 Chrysler...
Dana015
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
Car accelerating on its own
Hi! First time poster here and am sure hoping you can...
twinklenose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™