Medicine cabinet - best way to avoid mirror wear

LinelleMarch 12, 2014

I'm finally interviewing contractors for my hall bath remodel so it's getting real. Unless something else changes my mind, I'm planning to have a (new) horizontally placed mirror over the vanity, thinking about 30x40 and a recessed medicine cabinet on the adjacent side wall, doesn't have to be huge, +/- 26x16 (what I have in my other bathroom). The one I have is a Broan with a beveled edge. It's 9 years old and the mirror finish has worn away everywhere I touch it to open it, corner, bottom, halfway up the sides. Do I need a framed mirror to avoid that? I don't want a big frame. I suppose how the mirror over the vanity is finished will influence how the medicine cabinet is finished? Or does it matter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lotteryticket

I think a lot of the wear comes from water. In my old bathroom I had some wear around the edges. In the main bathroom, primarily used by DD there is almost no wear. She cleans that bathroom and I can almost guarantee that the most she does to the mirror is dust it, not wash it. I wash mine every week. Maybe that's why more wear on mine.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 1:00PM
Linelle

I clean my medicine cabinet mirror with Windex when it needs it, not even close to once a week. :) The wear isn't on the surface, just along the edge where I touch it to open it. I don't manhandle things, so this is clearly gradual erosion of the edge. I had wanted a simple beveled edge, but thinking a very narrow frame might be in order.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 1:12PM
lotteryticket

Mine is wall mounted so I don't even touch it with my fingers and there is wear around the edges. But I know you're correct that just the natural oils from your skin can wear it away over time.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 2:10PM
More Discussions
encaustic tile install?
I've fallen in love with these tiles but am completely...
daisychain01
Tub swinging glass door
Does anyone have a glass door on their tub hinged at...
aliris19
Question for Bill or other expert about Redguard waterproofing
Bill, Hope you recall I posted the whirlpool / shower...
lenitsa
Kerdi Shower Part Deux
Here's Part Deux. The original Kerdi Shower thread...
mongoct
Polished vs Unpolished tile for bath
We are redoing our master bath with a grey 12x24 porcelain...
btnik
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™