98 Golf Clutch Wear/Free Play ?

andyfDecember 14, 2006

I'm looking at a 98 Golf with 68K miles. The clutch starts to grab way up on the pedal. There's no slipping and it grabs OK. Free play before engaging is normal about 1/2 to 1 in, can't remember, but there definitely is some.

Is there a way to adjust this as I assume it needs it? If it's hydraulic, can I adjust the push rod somehow?

Andy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

That Golf does have a hydraulic clutch. The free play you mention sounds about right. Does the clutch grab at the same spot in different gears? 68K is a little early for a VW clutch to die, IME, but if the car was driven a lot in the city or was a "learner" for someone, it might be necessary to adjust or replace it. I'm sorry I can't help you with that, though.

Bookmark   December 16, 2006 at 4:32PM
john999

Is there a way to adjust this as I assume it needs it?

You can adjust the play of the clutch pedal by adjusting the adjusting nut on the pedal (see a workshop manual).

If it's hydraulic, can I adjust the push rod somehow?

No. It wouldn't be safe even if you could.

Generally though the amount of play is determined by how the clutch plate is affixed, so you just have to live with it.
A lot of newer cars seem to have little clutch range - perhaps this is some sort of emission control thing ?

Bookmark   January 2, 2007 at 10:12PM
darios242_hotmail_com

Hi, I just replaced my transmission on a 98 golf. The clutch was fine. Friction point is now very high and the engine does not stall. Can I re adjust my clutch cable even though it's a self adjust?

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
Car suddenly accelerats
This morning my wife was driving our 2013 Chrysler...
Dana015
Brake fluid flush
I've had new brakes installed in the past. However,...
africanboy
Power window goes down, but not up
The driver's side window on my 98 Chevy Venture would...
hardlyclever
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™